Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

belt routing

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default belt routing

I have a '95 jeep cherokee with a 2.5. After an impact with a deer I decided to not repair the air conditioning due to damage. I would like to bypass the A.C. compressor. I work at an auto parts store and do not have a listing for a bypass pulley. Can I bypass the compressor by just using the non-AC belt? I have breifly looked at the routing but it looks like I might need to change other idler or tensioner pulleys. Has any one done this change over before?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I`m not really sure but I know I have bypassed the A/C on a few other cars, with the biggest hassle finding the right sized belt.
What I do is take the alternator and swing it in as far as it will go and take a piece of twine and route it, pull it as tight as you can and then take it off, measure it and during your lunch break,,(it just might take that long to find the right length,,*heh-heh*) get the right length belt or one that will work and route it.
By loosening your alternator and swinging it in as far as you can go, you dont need to worry about the tensioner,,just bypass it also. Just use your crowbar on the alternator and tighten the belt. Hope his helps, like I said ealier though, I haven`t done it to a jeep but I really can`t imagine it being much different than anything else. (famous last words)
I would go out and look at mine and then maybe be a little more informed, but I had to drop it off at the shop today and have it diagnosed.
But just off the top of my head, I can`t see why there should be any reason why you couldn`t bypass the A/C with too much of a problem.
Hope this helps ya.