Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bearings on my A/C compressor went out

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 Cyl
Default Bearings on my A/C compressor went out

Last weekend I picked up Ruby. Ruby is a 92 Cherokee Laredo wtih only 130,000 miles on her and the PO was a doctor in the DFW area. She is well taken care of and everything but the cruise control is in like new condition.

On my way through Houston she gave a shudder and a few minutes later the AC was blowing hot air. I pulled over and saw smoke coming from the front of the compressor and grease splatter on the hot water hose. Closed the hood and finished my drive to home. The PO replaced the compressor just a few years ago.

After getting home I drove it to a local shop for an estimate and they wanted $749 to install a new compressor. I am not mechanically inclined and a little intimidated by the process and I realize more than the compressor needs replacing but s this a job I can tackle myself?
My thoughts are to replac the compressor any other parts required for the job. Then take it to the shop and have them put a vacuum on it, check for leaks and then charge the system.

Questions I have
Is this difficult to do?
Is this something I can do myself (limited tools and knowledge)?
If so, what all parts should be replaced?
Anyone know of a site with step by step instructions on replacing the compresor and other parts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam

Originally Posted by gettin_dirty_with_ruby
Last weekend I picked up Ruby. Ruby is a 92 Cherokee Laredo wtih only 130,000 miles on her and the PO was a doctor in the DFW area. She is well taken care of and everything but the cruise control is in like new condition.

On my way through Houston she gave a shudder and a few minutes later the AC was blowing hot air. I pulled over and saw smoke coming from the front of the compressor and grease splatter on the hot water hose. Closed the hood and finished my drive to home. The PO replaced the compressor just a few years ago.

After getting home I drove it to a local shop for an estimate and they wanted $749 to install a new compressor. I am not mechanically inclined and a little intimidated by the process and I realize more than the compressor needs replacing but s this a job I can tackle myself?
My thoughts are to replac the compressor any other parts required for the job. Then take it to the shop and have them put a vacuum on it, check for leaks and then charge the system.

Questions I have
Is this difficult to do?
Is this something I can do myself (limited tools and knowledge)?
If so, what all parts should be replaced?
Anyone know of a site with step by step instructions on replacing the compresor and other parts?

Thanks in advance!
You have to pay a shop to do it. Otherwise you risk destroying a new compressor (possibily the accumulator too). One drop of a moisture in that AC system and you're back to square one.

I just bought an AC, and for only 84 bucks had a locally owned shop install it for me. Evacuated and charged the whole thing.

DO NOT PAY $750 for that. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

PepBoys wanted to charge me $485 dollars. You need to find a local shop that isn't chain-owned if you want to get a good deal on it. This WILL require calling around.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Seasoned Member

[QUOTE=
I just bought an AC, and for only 84 bucks had a locally owned shop install it for me. Evacuated and charged the whole thing[/QUOTE]

Where did you find the compressor for $84? Looking around and can't find one for less than $200
Old 07-23-2011, 01:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by gettin_dirty_with_ruby
Where did you find the compressor for $84? Looking around and can't find one for less than $200
No, the install was $84. I bought the compressor from Advance for about 150 bucks I think? Here's a useful link down here. I highly recommend it for buying tools and standard parts. By standard, I mean things that don't have anything to do with engine, fuel and transmission operation. Those parts should ONLY ever be bought at NAPA. Always go with the higher priced one too. you can't go wrong with a part that comes in a box that says NAPA/Echlin on it. Now, on to the money saving link for all other items you intend to buy:

20% off with code P20
40% off with code LC123
$5 off $15 w/coupon code BIG5
$10 off $30 w/coupon code ES123
$15 off $40 w/coupon code BIG15
$16 off $40 w/coupon code LC123
$20 off $50 w/coupon code ES123 / A123 / EMW25 / EM2
$24 off $60 w/coupon code LC123
$25 off $60 w/coupon code BIG25
$20 off $75 w/coupon code BIG20
$30 off $75 w/coupon code BIG30 / EMW37
$32 off $80 w/coupon code LC123
$35 off $85 w/coupon code BIG35
$40 off $100 w/coupon code BIG40 / LC123
$50 off $150 w/coupon code VISA
$50 off $200 w/coupon code BIG50

The credit goes to SlackJaw who posted it here: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/acc...-needed-79139/

Not all of those do, but in my experience most do. You have to go to their web site online and order parts from there. There's a spot at the bottom for these codes to be entered. It'll tell you after you enter it if it works or not, then show you the corrected price. I saved $50 on the AC compressor this way. You can pick your local store out, and as soon as you order it they get a pop up on their computers in the store. They'll have it ready for you when you walk in... usually. Make sure you call before you live and bring a printout of the receipt. I've walked in and they had no idea what I was talking about before.

Also, I bet the shop that wants $750 is spending over $400 on the compressor itself from wherever they're getting it. Installing a compressor with the evacuation and charge only takes about 2-3 hours MAX. If you think about it like that you're spending over $100 an hour for a very simple install. Stay away from whatever that place is charging you that much for an AC install.

Last edited by CoffeeCommando; 07-23-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks!
I'll order the compressor Monday and begin shopping around for a lower price on installing it. The shop that gave me the quote wanted to install a new compressor and argued with me about new VS rebuilt. Since it won't be my DD and just a weekend toy it didn't make sense to install a new compressor.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Finally, somebody appreciates my posts
Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 PM

Hello friends
I'm having an electrical problem with my 2005 Grand Cherokee V8 4.7. The lights begin to flash alone and the instrument panel as well. Sometimes the lights flash even without being connected. I have changed the battery and the radio up because the dealer told me it was a problem CAN B. Solved nothing and the problem continues. Someone please have an idea of ​​what can be the failure and how to resolve it.
Tanks Luiz from Brazil
Old 07-23-2011, 02:57 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

NO, NO, NO!!!!!

You can MOST DEFINITELY install it yourself. A couple bolts is all that holds it on.

I did my '99 just 2 summers ago when the same thing happened. PAY ATTENTION HERE!!!!:

I was on a 3 hour trip headed south and about 15 minutes from my destination I thought I could smell burning grease. About 5 minutes out I knew something wasnt right so we pulled over. Yup, the pulley was incredibly hot and smelled like grease. I figured, well, its shot, we're 5 minutes out, lets just get there. When we pulled in it was smoking bad and I knew it was shot. Later on I started messing with things and sure enough he pulley was gone so I THOUGHT it was the bearing. I knew I couldnt drive it home so we called my uncle who tows and with our insurance and AAA I paid $38 bucks to get her home.....but it was going to take a week. No problem. So we got a ride home and before we got Goldie back home I started shopping around for bearing. They were between $10 and $20 bucks. COOL!!!! Not so fast. Turns out on the '99 I couldnt swap just the bearing, I needed a whole new compressor. So, after shopping around I found one with a good warranty for like $230.

Goldie gets brought home and the new compressor arrives that same day. Good timing. I drove her a mile to the local shop to have the AC evaced. Told them what happened, etc., and they said $130 to evac it, then redo the new one. So I go home and pull the pulley and see why I couldnt just swap the bearing: There is a formed "lip" that holds the bearing in, and thats whats actually gone. Half of it literally fell apart, screwing up the pulley. So anyway, I swap out the compressors and took it to the local shop where they vacuumed it, etc., and got her blowing incredibly cold, all for $130ish. So, $350 later I had a new compressor and it was all charged up.

You can MOST DEFINITELY change out the compressor. Its a really simple job. Its the evacing, vacuuming and charging that you cant do.

Last edited by bigvig; 07-23-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Seasoned Member

ok, now im confused. One yes and one no....
Any other opinions or suggestions on how?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:01 PM

You can swap out ANY part of your vehicle. ANY. Ive never heard someone say there was something you couldnt do in your driveway. Well....not never, and not be incorrect.

Swapping the compressor is SIMPLE! Its the rest that you have to have done at an AC shop. They need to evacuate the system because its illegal to release it into the atmosphere. Then you can do the compressor yourself, then you need to bring it back to them and have them vacuum it and charge it. Its really not complicated. Go pop the hood and take a good look around it. Its not hard.

If youve got the inline 6 in your XJ (I think Laredos only came with that option), it should be as simple as 4 bolts holding it down. Youll need to remove some other things, like your drive belt and the AC lines, but after its evacuated, its as simple as 1 bolt holding that clamp type attachment to the back of the compressor if its similar to the ones Ive seen. Use google, there is a WEALTH of info out there. You might be able to pick up just the bearing, making it MUCH cheaper and easier to do. Not sure on your model, etc., but you might be able to just pull off the pulley in place, swap the bearing and put the pulley back on, not even touching the system itself.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ressor+bearing

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pa...A/C+Compressor

Last edited by bigvig; 07-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bigvig
You can swap out ANY part of your vehicle. ANY. Ive never heard someone say there was something you couldnt do in your driveway. Well....not never, and not be incorrect.

Swapping the compressor is SIMPLE! Its the rest that you have to have done at an AC shop. They need to evacuate the system because its illegal to release it into the atmosphere. Then you can do the compressor yourself, then you need to bring it back to them and have them vacuum it and charge it. Its really not complicated. Go pop the hood and take a good look around it. Its not hard.

If youve got the inline 6 in your XJ (I think Laredos only came with that option), it should be as simple as 4 bolts holding it down. Youll need to remove some other things, like your drive belt and the AC lines, but after its evacuated, its as simple as 1 bolt holding that clamp type attachment to the back of the compressor if its similar to the ones Ive seen. Use google, there is a WEALTH of info out there. You might be able to pick up just the bearing, making it MUCH cheaper and easier to do. Not sure on your model, etc., but you might be able to just pull off the pulley in place, swap the bearing and put the pulley back on, not even touching the system itself.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...ressor+bearing

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/pa...A/C+Compressor
I never thought of having it evacuated and then doing it myself. I never wanted to risk (with all the humidity) getting the slightest bit of moisture in there. I mean if it just so happens that a drop gets in there when you install it... you're going be buying another compressor.

Make sure you plug it with something dry and waterproof as soon as it comes off.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:50 AM

But thats why the shop vacuums it, to remove any moisture or other contaminants that might be in there. Changing the compressor is INCREDIBLY easy and straight forward. Its the evacuating, vacuuming and recharging that a certified shop needs to do.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Seasoned Member

Are there any other parts to replace? I'll replace the belt for sure but any other AC parts that need to be replaced?
Old 07-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Nope. If youre changing out the whole compressor thats it.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by bigvig
But thats why the shop vacuums it, to remove any moisture or other contaminants that might be in there. Changing the compressor is INCREDIBLY easy and straight forward. Its the evacuating, vacuuming and recharging that a certified shop needs to do.
I live in Florida and it rains whenever it wants to. It's not a risk I will take. For $84 I had all of it done for me without having to sweat it. I think it's well worth it, vice buying another 150 dollar compressor, then having it done that way anyways.

Quick Reply: Bearings on my A/C compressor went out