Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery or Wiring Issues on 1998 Jeep Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Battery or Wiring Issues on 1998 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that I recently purchased. The guy I bought it from said it had a new battery; I had to replace the battery within a week because it wouldn’t start on several occasions when I tried to start it. I took it on a 1000+ mile trip within the past couple weeks and while driving the ‘check gages’ light came on and the battery gage on the dash dropped all the way down and then would come back up, it did this several times. The radio works off and on, I was driving yesterday with the radio on and it suddenly turned off and the clock went black and wouldn’t turn back on.Last night I ran out of gas (gas gage is broken, also) and after putting gas in the car it wouldn’t start without a jump after sitting for about 20 minutes, the new battery is less than 10 days old.Anyone have any issues like this? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!
Old 03-08-2017, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by Lexluthor
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that I recently purchased. The guy I bought it from said it had a new battery; I had to replace the battery within a week because it wouldn’t start on several occasions when I tried to start it. I took it on a 1000+ mile trip within the past couple weeks and while driving the ‘check gages’ light came on and the battery gage on the dash dropped all the way down and then would come back up, it did this several times. The radio works off and on, I was driving yesterday with the radio on and it suddenly turned off and the clock went black and wouldn’t turn back on.Last night I ran out of gas (gas gage is broken, also) and after putting gas in the car it wouldn’t start without a jump after sitting for about 20 minutes, the new battery is less than 10 days old.Anyone have any issues like this? Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!
sounds like it could be an alternator issue. Got a multi meter handy? You can start by checking the charging voltage at the battery terminals with the Jeep running, should be around 14.4VDC.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Most large auto parts stores can test your charging system for free. Find a nearby one and ask if they can.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:16 PM

I've been thinking it could be the alternator. I don't have a multi meter in hand, unfortunately. I'll make some calls to parts stores and see if someone can help me out. Thanks guys!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Do yourself a favor and pick up a multi meter. Everyone that owns an XJ should have one. I got mine from Harbor Freight for really cheap. Good luck!
Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

good clean batt connectors and ground, and starter cable
Old 03-08-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Lexluthor
I don't have a multi meter in hand, unfortunately.
Get one. Less than the price of a tank of gas.

Meanwhile, like the man said, clean all your connections, check your cables.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L