Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Battery draining

im sure this question has been asked before but im having a prob with my jeep battery getting drained. i just bought a brand new duralast gold (8 year warranty) and for the first week everything was going fine started up every time (the jeep sits for now as it has no plates and uninsured) so i go from time to time and check to see if its starting, well the other day it didnt, i jumped it let it run for a while, then the next day it happened again, jumped it again let it run, next day it was dead again, no lights are being left on and i dnt know what it could be, can anyone point me in the right direction on this? right now i just have the battery disconnected.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

gotta isolater the problem.

hook a test light between the negative battery post and the negative cable. if it lights up something is draining it, remember key off door closed maybe disable the hood light if you have one.

then star pulling fuses till the light shuts off don't forget about the coutesy light fse that should be the first one since you have to have your door open to access the fuse box.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

If you ran it fine for a week on the new battery, you might have a bad alternator too. It's possible that the driving you did drained the battery, and it wasn't getting recharged by the alternator.

Charge up your battery with a battery charger or jumper cables. Then turn the motor off and put a volt meter on the battery + and - posts. Voltage should read about 12.5 VDC. Then start the motor ... with the motor running, the voltage should go up to about 14 or so. If the voltage isn't higher with the motor running, then your alternator isn't charging.

Hope this helps.