Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Battery current draw questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Battery current draw questions

Hello again!

Working with a battery killing current draw. I put in a fresh battery as the old one was confirmed dead. Checking the draw straight off the battery it was going between .74a and .78a.

I started pulling fuses and checking the current right there at the fuses. If I pull the bottom left (passenger side) 40a fuse marked ign/run, it shows a draw of .19a.

I put it back in and continued. The fuse I see called #16 (Underhood lamp, transmission control module, radio & interior lights) was pulling .55a.

I removed both fuses and checking right off the batter it was blinking either .00a or .01a.

I plugged the #16 in again and it only showed .24'ish amps... It would sit like this for 10 seconds or so, then drop to flickering .01a. I replaced #16 and pulled the ign/run 40a fuse. This showed a constant .21a

So, I had the bright idea... I'll plug them both in and see if the #16 draw drops after 10 or so seconds. But alas no joy. It went all the way back up to the .74a and never went back down.

Could the fact that they seem to interact be a clue as to whats going on? The engine bay light doesn't come on so I didn't bother testing it. I'm kind of at a loss as to where I should check next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
KC8CIE
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 PM

Also on the labels inside the fuse box it mentions "IOD" just under the #16 fuse. Not totally sure what that means.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"The engine bay light doesn't come on so I didn't bother testing it."

Disconnect it anyway.

Is there a light in the glovebox?
Bad diode in the alternator? have it tested to rule it out.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
"The engine bay light doesn't come on so I didn't bother testing it."

Disconnect it anyway.

Ok, I unplugged the engine bay light and pulled the glove box bulb. It peaks about .8a, then settles down to .74 every time. Thanks for the good ideas, now I have two less things to go wrong! I usually have a flashlight of some sort anyways
Old 08-20-2013, 06:08 PM

I disconnected the alternator and there was no change.

But... Tonight I had help from my little buddy. He sat in the cab while I was dinking with fuses. When we put power on, the radio automatically started up and went into an odd "STNDBY" (stand by) mode. The draw went right to the .78a, then calmed to .74a. I had him hold the power button down to turn off the radio, and that droped to .64... then .54... and then stopped at .19a. So the goofy radio MUST be turned off before exiting the vehicle.

That leaves .19a, all coming from the "START IGN/RUN" fuse. At least it's narrowing down a bit
Old 08-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Ok, after further reading I've started cleaning grounds in an attempt to get rid of the last of the current draw. This was unsuccessful as with both battery terminals and the main ground connection to the passenger side fender cleaned, the draw actually got a little worse. It went from .19a to .22a. I read that this should be closer to .03a.

It's all narrowed down to a single fuse in the engine bay. It's the forward most on the left side of the box marked "start ign/run". I've tried finding diagrams, but i haven't found anything that I could understand. Where should I be looking next?

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 08-21-2013, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Do a google search, lots o stuff. Time to start tracing circuits and find the culprit.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Do a google search, lots o stuff. Time to start tracing circuits and find the culprit.
I did a LOT of google searches, but must not have been using the right key words. But, I hadn't found that second image which does help. If I'm reading this right, it goes directly to the ignition switch which means it's time to leave the engine bay and head into the cab :P

Thanks again, greatly appreciated