Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

battery and alt. - i need a new one. sugg?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default battery and alt. - i need a new one. sugg?

either my battery is bad or my alt. is bad - either way im going to use this an an excuse to upgrade both seeing that both are original and i have 225K miles on them. im looking at the POWER MASTER 170/110 alt. and odyse battery. i really want to go with the odyse battery and mean green alt but cant find them to fit my year. do yall have any suggestions - is the power master just as good as mean green. iv used both optimas and odesys before and like odyse's bat but i am open to sugestion. - oh and being made in the USA does matter to me.

my jeep is a 2001 4wd cherokee with the 4.0L and AT trans.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

How about diehard from sears? Ive always liked them
Old 02-18-2013, 09:33 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: Buzzen half dozen 4.0l

I like the optima yellow top
Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by jj1562
How about diehard from sears? Ive always liked them
X2 ^^^^ Best out there . Faster starts brighter lites and Road side assistance plut 7 year .And cheaper than you think .
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM
Seasoned Member

not a big fan of optimas - iv had 3- fail on me - all wr warrantied but still not a fan. i did a little resaerch and found out that the DIE HARD platnum is the same as ODYSSE, the only bad thing iv heard about die hards is that if you get the automitive battery with 2-top post and 2-side post that the side post break off way to easy - BUT - the marine DIE HARD is the same as the auto but has 4- top post, think im going that direction.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I don't know about Diehard in particular, but marine batteries are generally deep-cycle.

I like NAPA batteries, made by Deka.

Asking about batteries is almost as bad as asking what the best oil brand is!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 2000 4.0

No matter what brand you buy, most likely it will be made by Johnson-Controls,inc. Deep cycle is not good for automotive use because the cranking amps are lower,even in marine use they are usually used just for the trolling motor. I have had good luck with the wally world batteries but it can be a crap shoot wherever you buy one. Rock Auto has low priced alternators but I have never had any experience with them...maybe someone else can chime in.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:00 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 L

You could buy the mean green for your year direct from them.
http://shop.mean-green.com/2001-99-4...-MG1382-D1.htm
Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM

Engine: Buzzen half dozen 4.0l

Originally Posted by bigbadon
No matter what brand you buy, most likely it will be made by Johnson-Controls,inc. Deep cycle is not good for automotive use because the cranking amps are lower,even in marine use they are usually used just for the trolling motor. I have had good luck with the wally world batteries but it can be a crap shoot wherever you buy one. Rock Auto has low priced alternators but I have never had any experience with them...maybe someone else can chime in.
HEY buy more batterys our drivers need more work. We deliver batterys for Johnson-Controls.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by bigbadon
There are many boats that have in-board V-8's, or diesels, that require the same cranking amperage, or more. I would buy a Interstate marine battery, or upgrade to a Optima blue top.
New Mastercraft boats all come with Interstate marine batteries.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Member

iv run optima red top in a scout, yellow top in a tacoma, and blue top in an s10 - all wr ok, had to replace the yellow top under warranty and the red top 2-times under warranty - dont hink ill use them again, but they did a fine job of cranking. My father had die hard marine batterys in his 36' sea ray and never had a problem turning over the engines. think im going to go with the die hards since the from what iv read, the platinum marine die hard is the same as odessey battery, and iv heard nothing but good revues about odessy battery's.

as far as mean green alternators - iv have yet to hear good or bad about them - same goes for powermaster - for that goes iv never heard of anybody running either one - everybody i talk to says that the stock alternator will keep up and its not worth the money to buy a mean green or power master cuz they will get destroyed just as easily from deep water cuz of its mounting location.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by davidap6
There are many boats that have in-board V-8's, or diesels, that require the same cranking amperage, or more. I would buy a Interstate marine battery, or upgrade to a Optima blue top.
New Mastercraft boats all come with Interstate marine batteries.
Those boats have two batteries. One high amperage battery to start the engine & generator and a second deep cycle to run the on-board accessories.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by alnielsen
Those boats have two batteries. One high amperage battery to start the engine & generator and a second deep cycle to run the on-board accessories.
ur probably right - my dad has since sold the boat so i cant look and the last time i did look i was in my early 20's (thats about 15years ago)

but here are the specs

DIE HARD PLATINUM
$188 W/ Exchange
880 cold cranking amps
135 min reserve capacity

OPTIMA RED TOP
$175 W/exchange
800 cold cranking amps
100 min reserve capacity

OPTIMA YELLOW & BLUE TOPS
$205 w/exchange
750 cold cranking amps
120 min reserve capacity

yes i know there are bigger optima red, yellow and blue tops, but there are also bigger die hards, this was just the info on the size that would fit in my jeep.

i guess asking what battery is best is like asking a favorite color - thanks for all yalls input - but i guess the real question since iv decided to run die hard batterys "Is anybody running a high output alternator?" iv just heard so much negative things about them - are they worth the money?