Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

batery not charging or holding charge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994(mostly)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default batery not charging or holding charge?

i had to get pulled by my buddy about 5 miles down the road to a parking lot so i could call AAA , they came told me i it was gettin 0 amps when i tried to start and that the battery was damaged , but my battery is brand new, so they called a tow truck and the tow truck guy had a box instead of cables and that got me started, then on the way home i noticed when ever i went over a bump my lights dimmed on the dash and my radio would turn off then back on, both of them said my terminals were dirty, but the big problem is even after driving for about a half hour i turned my jeep off to see if it would start and it didnt, i couldnt even put my windows up. anybody have any idea what the problem is
Old 08-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95
Engine: 4.0

id check batt terminals first!!!! then alt assy. if batt new should have charge to run for awhile. but if bad connection or bad alt batt wont charge!!! AZ checks charging syst for free!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Have your battery tested too. I've gotten a brand new battery that was toast before. It worked for about a week before crapping out. I returned it for a replacement that worked flawlessly.

s
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all the connecttions,bat and alt.I bought a battery that was dead before I got out of the store once.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

I'd agree with cutting off the terminals, cutting back the wire casing about 2 inches and wire brush off all the salt. Once you have those done (about 2$ each) I'd check my ground wire connection. Sometimes you have to take off the bolt connecting it to the frame and wire brush it to remove paint/rust/grime, then reconnect it. Should be an easy fix though.

The only other thing I can think of is to check the wires connecting to the starter. Make sure they're clean, and tight. That's where your main juice wire goes to.

Good luck, have fun.

At least it should be a cheap fix.

Also, If none of our advice helps, you mmight have a bad wire... Positive or Negative. Replacing them would be the last thing. If the wire's broken on the inside, it might be making the connection sometimes, and hitting a bump might separate it.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

I've had a battery before had been good for over 2-3 years then one morning I had lights radio,etc just wouldn't start my jeep, the plates seperated in the battery so not enough power to start the jeep only good for acc.