Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bastard lift / DW help!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation Bastard lift / DW help!?!?!?

Ok, been wanting an XJ for awhile and jus got suckered into a 92 XJ with a '98 4.0L and a totally fubar'd suspension. Here is what I know... Front has adj trac bar and LCA's. UCA's are stock. Looks like taller coils, but am unsure and has about a 4" homemade coil spacer. Also about a 3" block has been welded on the frame to drop the steering. Rear has 2" universal lift blocks and an add a leaf. Not sure how much lift total but it was clearing 33" boggers w/ 10" from top of tire to top of wheel opening. I started getting death wobble and swapped the boggers for 31x10.50 radials and dw got worse. Replaced a hub on rt and caliper on lt and adjusted toe that was in about an inch. Dw is now bearable, but still there. I duno what the hell has been done or what else tofix. The adj trac & lca's have alittle play where the threads are. Could this cause dw? Could I just weld the threads solid? And how do I know if all this adj stuff is adj right. To give you guys an idea of the pos I am stuck w/ the sway bar links and shocks had been lengthened by really crappy welding and some cheap pipe!!! Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I can tell you what I would do is this. Buy a new lift that comes with new leaf packs, coil springs, shocks, sway bar end links, track bar, LCA's and replace it all with stuff that is made right and fits properly. Sounds to me like you got a jeep from someone who did a hack job of a lift and had no clue how to weld or fab properly. As for the LCA's and Trackbar there should be no play where the ends thread in.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks, OKC. Kinda what I was thinking. But b't buying the jeep and spending another $200 bucks to get it where I can atleast drive it I am broke. And now the speedo has suddenly quit.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Youch that stinks..I feel your pain..when I bought mine it has an oil leak and I thought eh easy fix and well within a week of fixing the leak blew the motor..Had to park it till I could get a new motor then did the swap. Then the lift and next tires and so on..Just gotta do what ya can when you can..That's all apart of buying a 16 yr old vehicle never know for sure what you are getting into till ya get it..Although this is exactly why I will never ever buy a jeep that was lifted by someone else..You don't know what parts they used or what stuff they modified in a bad way..Good luck and just stick around and we will answer or try to answer any questions that come up..

If you want a good reliable and well built lift get a Rough Country lift..Inexpensive and will last a long time.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks. Been looking around here for awhile and its a huge help. One more quick one. I am used to Chevys so the xj frt suspension a new learnig xp. I was checking the front end and I can roll the tire back and forth w/ the jeep on theground and seems like the axle rotates a lil bit. Is this norm? I know the play in the adj stuff and the rt uca bushings are shot. Want to put the poly bush set in, but again, gotta recoup the fundage.