Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ball Joints keep failing

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Ball Joints keep failing

Hi all,
2001 XJ, 270K miles. I have owned 4 Cherokees, and never had problems with ball joints until this one. In the last 5 years, I have replaced the ball joints 2 times and it feels like the passenger ball joints are clunking again. I rebuilt the front end 4 years ago with mostly moog parts, so I think the front end is still good. Driver side ball joints look/feel fine. It is always the passenger side that is the problem.

I used Autozone parts for the ball joints--which have a lifetime warranty. Does anyone here think that NAPA parts will really make a difference?

Is there something else I should look for? I am wondering if there is a flaw in the steering knuckle itself that could cause these joints to fail so often.

Looking for any ideas before I fix this yet again.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Couple thoughts. First, I only use Spicer ball joints but would consider some of the upgraded expensive alternatives. I just havent heard too much good about the parts stoor brands. Second, I would get the front up on jack stands and have someone cycle the steering full right and full left with the rig running. Look for binding anywhere when it gets to full lock side to side. If you have lost one of your steering stops it might let it oversteer and get into a bind situation which could affect the ball joints. I would also jack the axle where the tire is just off of the ground. Have someone take a long pry bar and put it directly under the tire and lift. See if you feel clunking. Then while someone lifts, look under and see where the slack is. It is a very rare possibility that one of the joints is loose in the axle.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I used Mevotech's Terrain Tough ball joints I got from Rock Auto they look good the only problem I had with them is the grease fitting , I had to change them on the lower ball joint to a shorter 90 degree fitting and sand down the the top of the fitting to clear the ujoint in the axles other then that I love the grease fitting . the ball joints I removed were in bad shape the lower joints were both dry and come apart , the top ball joints both came apart the shaft came out of the housing , the front end did not have that much play . I just wanted to change them because they looked like the OEM joints .
Old 11-21-2017, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Tire size and off set on the rims?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

Also I've had front shocks thumping and the control arms will thump when the bushings are severely worn. And if I recall when I replaced the sway bar connectors and bushings it quieted down some too.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for replying.

This is a stock XJ, no lift. Rims are stock with 225/75/16 Cooper discovery tires. New tires. I just put new KY shocks in last week, so those are good.

The steering links on the passenger side look like the rubber grommet is almost torn through.

I guess I can replace that?

I will try and get someone this weekend to help turn the links and see if they are binding. My stops are still there, but I never thought to look under while someone cycles it from left to right all the way.

Would anyone think the steering link is the culprit? That is an easy fix if that is all it is.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 485 Likes on 416 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

At this point all I can say is that you need to get quality ball joints. Timken or better. Cheap ball joints just don't seem to last.