Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

bad news - windshield frame is rusty

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Unhappy bad news - windshield frame is rusty

I just bought a 2000 XJ last weekend. Been getting it road worthy/legal. Took it to windshield shop today and they just called - it has a little rust in two small area where the windshield seals to the vehicle. They are going to have a guy look at it that does this type of repair - I was able to talk to him directly on the phone. He said if it's small rust, no big deal, he will bead blast, fill, primer and prepare the surface for the new windshield. If it has any holes rusted through, he said slap the new windshiled in and sell it. Any advice on this situation? If it is rusted through in these two small spots is it fixable and is it worth it to fix? 2000 XJ, 127k, runs good, drives straight, body is pretty good condition. It has surface rust in a few very small places.
Thanks
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Not a big deal and it can be fixed if its not too bad. I had the top of my A-pillars rust out with cause water to sit around the windshield, well it turned out the windshield leaks like a sieve and rusted out the floors. I was flint stoning it for awhile.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:34 PM

I'm considering fixing it myself. I have replaced a windshield in a wrangler once. I know the structural integrity has to be solid and the adhesion of the windshield to the structure is absolutlely neccessary to be safe. I have done some reading on fixing myself. The guy who is going to look at it said he would do the work for about $200. Then it will be another $210 for the windshield with install. I'll decide over the weekend.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by kingkamodo
I'm considering fixing it myself. I have replaced a windshield in a wrangler once. I know the structural integrity has to be solid and the adhesion of the windshield to the structure is absolutlely neccessary to be safe. I have done some reading on fixing myself. The guy who is going to look at it said he would do the work for about $200. Then it will be another $210 for the windshield with install. I'll decide over the weekend.
If you decide to put the windshield in yourself then be certain you get some primer to go anywhere you may even scrap the paint when you're removing the windshield. My aunt and uncle own an auto glass shop, and when i help them they're always saying how other places never primer were they scrap the paint which causes rust. And be certain to get a continuous line of eurathane with no gaps whatsoever or else you'll have leaking issues
The following users liked this post:
Greg Busfield (08-31-2021)
Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I just bought a 2000 XJ last weekend. Been getting it road worthy/legal. Took it to windshield shop today and they just called - it has a little rust in two small area where the windshield seals to the vehicle. They are going to have a guy look at it that does this type of repair - I was able to talk to him directly on the phone. He said if it's small rust, no big deal, he will bead blast, fill, primer and prepare the surface for the new windshield. If it has any holes rusted through, he said slap the new windshiled in and sell it. Any advice on this situation? If it is rusted through in these two small spots is it fixable and is it worth it to fix? 2000 XJ, 127k, runs good, drives straight, body is pretty good condition. It has surface rust in a few very small places.
Thanks
I'm confused, why would you sell it just cause of a little rust? I would tell that guy to F*** off....
Old 11-04-2010, 04:39 PM

What he said was that if there are any spots where it is rusted through (holes) it is impossible to fix it without having leaks. He also said the rust would just come back. I pulled the moulding back a little and it doesn't look like it's rusted through. I'll pull it in the garage tonight and get a better look at it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

What he said was that if there are any spots where it is rusted through (holes) it is impossible to fix it without having leaks. He also said the rust would just come back. I pulled the moulding back a little and it doesn't look like it's rusted through. I'll pull it in the garage tonight and get a better look at it.
You could always just cut the rust out and use some JB weld and just form it the best you can into the shape it once was. Dunno if JB weld holds up like that though
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I am an autoglass installer.Please do not take on this job yourself. This should be left to an experienced technician. Not only will rust prevent a good bond between the glass and the pinchweld causing leaks, it will compromise the structural integrity of the vehicle should it be involved in a serious collison. I will also advise you to do some research into a reputable shop near your location. Unfortunately there are way to many idiots out there who cut corners resulting in poor workmanship. Believe me, Iv'e seen way too many unsafe installations.
Good luck.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Update with pictures

I looked closer at the problem areas. It looks to me like the rust is not on the pinch weld but on the outside of where the glass and metal meet. If I'm not mistaken, the pinch weld is under the glass, where it seals. From what I can see, that looks fine. The seal doesn't leak and I don't think it ever did leak. The rust spots are just under the moulding from what I can tell. I will still have the spots fixed during the glass replacement, before they get any worse. Take a look and tell me what you think.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails bad news - windshield frame is rusty-101_0210.jpg   bad news - windshield frame is rusty-101_0211.jpg   bad news - windshield frame is rusty-101_0213.jpg   bad news - windshield frame is rusty-101_0214.jpg   bad news - windshield frame is rusty-101_0216.jpg  

Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.o

Listen to otpracer the glass installer looks like the rust has been around awhile hope you got a decent price on it but cant see why it cant be fixed remember MURPYS law just goes to show what Rochester winters can do Good Luck I am on second xj now also a 2000 bought first one in 01 a 92 put 117k on it started with 98k like to how it turns out
Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM

I'll let you know how it turns out and post some pics. I was looking at it again and I peeled back the headliner a little on each end and in the middle. I can feel smooth painted metal all the way across the entire edge where it meets the windshield. I don't think it's as bad as the glass guys think it is. Yeah... Rochester winters are brutal. I read that we use more road salt per capita then anyone else in the world. I don't know why, I can deal with a little snow on the roads. That's why I run snow tires on both of our vehicles!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:04 PM

Default got windshield replaced today

I took it in to the glass shop this morning and told them to get me after the old glass was removed. I took a look with their glass tech and there was slight rust where the windshield seal was. He said it wasn't a problem, it was just surface rust. He grinded it all down to bare metal and applied a 2 part epoxy and let it set up before installing the new glass. They only charged me an extra $50. Now I will tackle fixing the rust on the exterior. I should be able to buy a small (quart) size automotive paint to match. I know it will never be perfect, but it will be close. I think I'll take care of all of the little surface rust spots at once. Anyone have any luck with spraying a rust converter before primer and paint?
Old 11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Thanks
Try this

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4907