Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AX-5 clutch troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default AX-5 clutch troubles.

Hey guys, it's my first post so bear with me if I've posted in the wrong section or anything.

I'm having some trouble with the clutch in my ax-5 tranny with the 2.5 motor.
I've owned my XJ for about a year and a half and since I've owned it the clutch has been a little tricky. I was told when I bought it that there was a new clutch installed and I believe the guy because he seemed to come by everything honestly and I never have any pop-outs, grinding, etc. But the clutch is very stiff and has to be ridden perfectly for smooth launches and gear changes, if not the jeep likes to hop a little bit.
I used to think that it's just how my jeep was and there's nothing I could do to fix it until about a month ago. I went to the beach on vacation and left it sitting at home for a week. When I came back and drove it for the first time, the clutch was the smoothest it has ever been since Ive owned it, which made me believe something is wrong.
I've tried to narrow the list down some but I'm hoping to get some guidance from someone who knows a little more about transmissions than me.

I've heard that a rear main seal leak can cause oil to leak into the transmission causing this to happen, but it would have to be pouring the oil for this to be the case. I have a small rms leak but it isn't even enough to notice any difference in the oil level in between oil changes.
I've also considered the master/slave cylinder unit, but I've never had any problems with losing fluid in the reservoir or getting a spongy pedal.

If someone could help, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

If everything seems to function normally and smooth then why change anything or assume something is wrong?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Because it bugs me. I know it isn't normal and it's annoying having it bounce and being hard to launch from a stop
Old 08-08-2014, 08:44 PM

I guess I forgot to mention, after my clutch magically became smooth after I let it set a week, it returned to the same stubborn clutch by the next morning