Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ax-15 slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat
Default ax-15 slave cylinder

hey guys, i'm hoping somebody might be able to give me any helpful ideas with my ax-15 transmission on my jeep. Last night the slave cylinder decided to crap out for the second time, so today i'm going to be putting the third one on there in 6 months

IS THERE ANY REASON WHY MY SLAVES ARE GOING BAD ON ME? i think i am installing them correctly but then again i'm no wiz
Old 03-11-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

bump back up to the top lol
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

no idea, where are you buying them from? are they new or rebuilt?

did you bleed the system sufficiently?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by captainofiron
no idea, where are you buying them from? are they new or rebuilt?

did you bleed the system sufficiently?
Where i bought them from i suspect might be the problem but yeah there brand new, like $70 a piece if i remember correct. what i do is bolt in the new slave (two bolts) and then hook up the clutch line. to bleed i would just pump the clutch until it felt normal again, because i was under the impression that it was self bleeding but i could be wrong
Old 03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

on the AX-15 the slave cylinder should not wear out that fast. when i redid my clutch at 123xxx the stock unit was working perfectly. i replaced mine out of good measure tho. i would instal a new one, then take it to a tranny shop and have then bleed it for you for like 10 buck. they might also find the reason why it is happening.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 96_xj
on the AX-15 the slave cylinder should not wear out that fast. when i redid my clutch at 123xxx the stock unit was working perfectly. i replaced mine out of good measure tho. i would instal a new one, then take it to a tranny shop and have then bleed it for you for like 10 buck. they might also find the reason why it is happening.
you've got a good point, i def know they shouldn't be wearing out that fast....maybe i have crap in my fluid? well we'll see what happens with it.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

what exactilly is happening? like what does your jeep do when it 'goes out'
Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

the clutch pedal goes completely soft and i the trans won't shift. i can get it to shift if i refill the fluid and then kick the clutch pedal like 50 times builds up enough pressure to shift, then the clutch slowly goes away until i refill it again.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6 H.O.

sounds like a leak remember its just a hydraulic system, so approach it like a brake system if the slave was a caliper/wheel cylinder
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

do you see where you are losing fluid from? are you sure its the slave?

Originally Posted by 96xj4x4
what i do is bolt in the new slave (two bolts) and then hook up the clutch line. to bleed i would just pump the clutch until it felt normal again, because i was under the impression that it was self bleeding but i could be wrong
no this isn't the way you bleed the system. When installing a new slave, fill if up with brake fluid, then attach the line to the master and fill up the master. Then have someone watch the master cylinder (with the cap off) while you SLOWLY press the slave cylinder piston in and out until no more air bubbles surface (usually around 10 to 15 pumps). then put the plastic cap on the piston of the slave cylinder that ties into the mounting bolt holes. This keeps the piston pressed in while you mount it back onto your jeep (your new slave should come with one of these caps). then top off the master with fluid, and seal it with the cap. After the slave is mounted, pump the clutch to break the plastic cap from the ties to the mounting holes.

The way you were doing it allows bubbles to still circulate the system, eventually you will get enough pressure to allow the clutch to function, but overtime the bubbles will come back around and give you hell.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
do you see where you are losing fluid from? are you sure its the slave?

no this isn't the way you bleed the system. When installing a new slave, fill if up with brake fluid, then attach the line to the master and fill up the master. Then have someone watch the master cylinder (with the cap off) while you SLOWLY press the slave cylinder piston in and out until no more air bubbles surface (usually around 10 to 15 pumps). then put the plastic cap on the piston of the slave cylinder that ties into the mounting bolt holes. This keeps the piston pressed in while you mount it back onto your jeep (your new slave should come with one of these caps). then top off the master with fluid, and seal it with the cap. After the slave is mounted, pump the clutch to break the plastic cap from the ties to the mounting holes.

The way you were doing it allows bubbles to still circulate the system, eventually you will get enough pressure to allow the clutch to function, but overtime the bubbles will come back around and give you hell.
Hope this helps.
you right i know exactly what your saying, somebody else explained that to me once too but i don't think i ever did it right, well i'll make sure to bleed this one the right way you explained thanks-zach
Old 03-12-2010, 04:55 PM

Engine: 4.0

Just a thought, I know the aftermarket slave cylinders have a sealed bleed screw, I had to point the slave cylinder piston straight down at the ground when I was bleeding it, or else air would build up and not allow the trans to shift between gears..