Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default AWD?

I was wondering if they make an All Wheel Drive (AWD) 2001 cherokee? My buddy is looking at this cherkoee and they guy is saying its an AWD all the time. Not like the normal 2wd 4wd hi-lo.
Thanks

Last edited by 89whiteXJ; 08-09-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 89 4.0l swap

Originally Posted by 89whiteXJ
I was wondering if they make an All Wheel Drive (AWD) 2001 cherokee? My buddy is looking at this cherkoee and they guy is saying its an AWD all the time. Not like the normal 2wd 4wd hi-lo.
Thanks
Yes they did...to an extent. It is full-time 4wd if it has the np242 tranfer case and not vacuum disconnect on the axle. Many years had this option.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Thats what I was thinking.

*well kinda after someone told me that was prob it*
Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

87 thru 96? should be called a NP242(New Process) and 96 thru 01 in Cherokees at least will be NV242(New Venture). Same transfer case, with different name. The NP or NV242 have 2 wheel full time, 4 Wheel Locked(50/50 split), 4 Wheel Full time(AWD no viscous coupler like earlier NP228 NP229 or Grand NP249), Neutral, and 4Wheel Low Locked. Very good transfer Case. My 87 has one with 291,+++ miles on it.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

I have seen a cherokee running the AWD transfer case out of a grand cherokee.. I believe it's called the quadra-trac
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 High Output

Taken from Allpar: http://www.allpar.com/model/99gc.html

Quadra-Trac II

A new four-wheel drive system, the Quadra-Trac II, incorporated a progressive, speed-sensing torque transfer differential. The system also marked the first industry use of Vari-Lok axles that had a progressive, speed-sensing torque transfer differential in both the front and rear axle. Without any driver involvement, the Quadra-Drive system kept the vehicle moving even if only one wheel has minimal traction. Unlike other systems, Quadra-Drive worked without straining, wearing or compromising the anti-lock braking system.

Quadra-Drive was standard with the V-8 and optional on the six-cylinder (except on Jeeps made in Austria, which had Quadra-Drive standard regardless).
The Quadra-Trac II transfer case normally sent most of the power and torque to the rear wheels. The moment a wheel lost traction, a gerotor pump applied hydraulic pressure to a multi-disc clutch pack, sending power to the front axle.
The gerotor pump used a rotor driven by the front drive shaft and the case by the rear drive shaft, creating a pressurized oil flow to the clutch pack in proportion to their speed variation. Clutch discs were alternately splined to the front and rear drive shafts. Because Quadra-Trac II could immediately pressurize the clutch pack, it had a faster response than a viscous coupling. (Quadra-Trac II’s low range had a 2.72:1 torque ratio and fully locked the center differential).
A similar pump was incorporated in the Vari-Lok differential; power transfer was therefore proportional to wheel speed difference rather than torque difference. By avoiding the need to pre-load the differential to assure torque transfer (so that normal use causes wear), the Vari-Lok could be virtually wear-free. Again, compared to systems using a viscous coupling (which also sense speed), Vari-Lok differentials responded more quickly and smoothly; and the pump response could be precisely tuned to driving conditions, enabling the use of this advanced system in the front axle as well as the rear.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1987
Engine: 89 4.0l swap

Originally Posted by 84zmyfavorite
87 thru 96? should be called a NP242(New Process) and 96 thru 01 in Cherokees at least will be NV242(New Venture). Same transfer case, with different name. The NP or NV242 have 2 wheel full time, 4 Wheel Locked(50/50 split), 4 Wheel Full time(AWD no viscous coupler like earlier NP228 NP229 or Grand NP249), Neutral, and 4Wheel Low Locked. Very good transfer Case. My 87 has one with 291,+++ miles on it.
Does your xj have a vacuum disconnect on the front axle?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:14 AM

Default How do I know if a Cherokee can be Flat Towed

I'm looking at a 2009 Cherokee Laredo. The window sticker say it is 4x4 (I guess AWD) but the sticker also says it has a towing package..WHICH IT DOES NOT. I think the dealership just enters the VIN and the system prints the equipment for the vehicle, but in this case it is not all correct. The car does NOT have a transfer case.

I understand that the Quadra-Trac II system can be flat towed, but I don't know how to identify what system this car has. Is ther a way to identify what tow (dingy) capabilities the car has (VIN, other ID's). I would hate to make an expensive mistake and try to tow it if it cannot handle it.

The manual is pretty vague, it is generic for a 2wd (which cannot be towed) and for the Quadra systems, but nobody has been able to tell me what exactly this car can do.

Thanks very much for your help,
Gremlin
Old 09-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by gremlintim
I'm looking at a 2009 Cherokee Laredo. The window sticker say it is 4x4 (I guess AWD) but the sticker also says it has a towing package..WHICH IT DOES NOT. I think the dealership just enters the VIN and the system prints the equipment for the vehicle, but in this case it is not all correct. The car does NOT have a transfer case.

I understand that the Quadra-Trac II system can be flat towed, but I don't know how to identify what system this car has. Is ther a way to identify what tow (dingy) capabilities the car has (VIN, other ID's). I would hate to make an expensive mistake and try to tow it if it cannot handle it.

The manual is pretty vague, it is generic for a 2wd (which cannot be towed) and for the Quadra systems, but nobody has been able to tell me what exactly this car can do.

Thanks very much for your help,
Gremlin
Are you trying to tow the jeep behind something else, like an RV.
ETA: reading it again it does sound like that is what your refrencing the tow package from the dealer is not to allow it to be towed behind an RV it is for the jeep to tow, usually it includes a hitch, transmission cooler and I think different gearing.

Last edited by Rearwardassist; 09-22-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM

Default Flat Tow 2009 Cherokee

Actually I was concerned with being able to flat tow the Cherokee behind a motorhome. The reference to the No Tow Package was just to say that although it was listed on the window sticker, it really wasn't present on te car. The window sticker also says 4x4 II, but I don't know how to tell if that means Quadra-Trac 1 or 2