Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aw4 Rebuilt No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Aw4 Rebuilt No Reverse

I have an Aw4 transmission out of a 96 cherokee that I rebuilt. When I put it in reverse the jeep moves forward. I have verified it is not improper fluid level or a shift linkage issue. I run a RADesigns winters shifter that eliminates the TCU completely. I originally thought it was a valve body issue so I swapped in one from a working transmission I have and that did not fix the issue.

Today I pulled the transmission back out and noticed the second coast brake was not installed correctly. However according to the ATSG manual the second coast brake is not used in reverse so I do not believe that was causing the jeep to move forward in reverse.

I have not tried driving the jeep to see if all the forward gears work but they do move the jeep forward. Also neutral and park work as they should.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I forgot to mention I have no way of testing the line pressure but when I did the rebuild I put in a new pump. I have also checked the First/Reverse Brake with low pressure air and it appears to be working.

Last edited by Brayden Cherrington; 05-20-2019 at 01:20 AM.