Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AW4 Filter Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.6 Re-Built Golen, 68-200-4 Comp Cam
Default AW4 Filter Swap

I'm trying to change the filter and fluid, but I have a problem that may be unique given my aftermarket exhaust. The bottom of the exhaust is severely holding the front (forward to the engine) portion of the pan in place. The most I can do is pull the backward end down a little and twist it to the passenger side... but then that side hits the exhaust from that side. It absolutely does not twist the other way (driveshaft, which is easily removed).

I seriously don't want to have to remove an exhast for a damn filter change. As much pressure is on there I will have to remove the whole manifold and headers, everything included with that crap, to reattach the exhaust to the headers bottom before reconnecting it to the head.

Someone has to have been this far. I'm serioulsy considering angle grinding the exhaust and having some place reweld it more out of the way for me.

Yes, the portion that comes from the headers all the way back to the cat is aftermarket mandel bent. The shop didn't think to have it moved out of the way of the trans pan for future PM'ing apparently, and neither did I.

Serious help would be seriously appreciated. I can't be the first person with this problem.

Also, is the TCC solenoid inside the pan area? Haynes manual doesn't even make mention of the existence of such a thing, yet I know it exists.
CoffeeCommando~

Note: Experiencing P0740 code and trying to fix it. Fluid and filter change was due anyways.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

If the exhaust is that close to the pan, I would think it would be excessively heating the tranny fluid, in addition to making it difficult to drop the pan.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
If the exhaust is that close to the pan, I would think it would be excessively heating the tranny fluid, in addition to making it difficult to drop the pan.
Uh oh. I actually had the engine overheat a couple of times leading to a rebuild. The same Mercon fluid and filter have been in the transmission ever since then...
Old 07-21-2011, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I'd suggest at least draining/changing the tranny fluid on a very regular basis and adding a auxiliary tranny fluid cooler. Maybe reconsider the exhaust and it's location.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
I'd suggest at least draining/changing the tranny fluid on a very regular basis and adding a auxiliary tranny fluid cooler. Maybe reconsider the exhaust and it's location.
If it was 2 inches forward it would be perfect. Actually it may HAVE been perfect... I put APN'ers on about a month ago. That might have resituated their locale.

I'm just going to drain and refill it a few times once the damn thing runs again. I suspect water in my gas tank. Put 9 gallons of 10% ethanol happy fuel (researched and found out ethanol is a water magnent) in my tank, and as soon as I pulled out of the gas station it sputtered instead of pulled as I cut someone off. Had to have the sunuva bich towed 3 miles later.

Kangaroo is on my **** list for buying gas. I filled up with them just the other day. After that I tried to crank it this morning and it almost wouldn't start. That's when I put the acetone in there and it actually ran. Didn't think anything of water in the tank since I had previously had some electrical continuity problems with the MAP/SAFC.

I've filled with Kangaroo plenty of times, but one bad fill up is all it takes for me to be done. In general I'm staying away from ethanol carrying gas stations period.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

My '96 OE pipe from the header to the CAT prevents the pan from being removed. I did manage to drop it far enough to gain access to the solenoids (LH side) to change S1.

It wasn't just 10% ethanol that stopped your Heep. More than likely they had water in the tank. Yes, ethanol attracts and absorbs water, so there may have been an excessive amount of water in their fuel. I'm not saying that I'm a proponent of the ethanol FARCE that has been foisted upon us, but it took more than 10% to stop your XJ. I don't have any choice but to run that $h!t.

Last edited by excess650; 07-21-2011 at 08:19 PM.