Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aux fan stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aux fan stopped working

Whatsup guys,

I got my xj with the aux fan in it and its never given me a problem. Then last night while I was driving home i saw my temp gauge overheat, pulled over , popped the hood. I messed with the ground for a second , rebolted it down, good to go. 10 minutes later I get gas and idle for 5 minutes and it stops again. Except this time im getting no spark or power on the ground, and the fan isnt starting. I pulled out the fan and the brittle wires were cut by the water pump i believe . Thats not the problem though. So i soon found out the fuse blew. I threw a 30 amp i had , and connected the wires by hand and nothing happened. Im very new to electrical, i moved the relay wires around which is probably dumb, but i put them back. Nothing is working and I overheat quick. I jumped the wires and the fan motor is still good. Any help is so greatly appreciated.

PS I am on my mac cause my phone is messed up, i may be able to take this outside for pictures let me know if needed.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

try replacing the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing. i just replaced mine, it was reading 30 degrees cooler than the actual temp, 180 instead of 210. replaced it and it kicks on now.

i think you mentionned it but looking for a faulty replay is also another common place to check. if you jump the fan and it kicks on, your problem will most likely be either of the 2. an air bubble in the system could potentially do that too though.