Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Autozone, Napa, O'reilly AC parts difference

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Autozone, Napa, O'reilly AC parts difference

Okay, first I need to answer the inevitable, "Just call them and ask." posts. I am 100% stone deaf so calling and asking is kind of difficult. I am just curious about what each of these stores lists in the AC parts section for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Autozone and O'Reilly call it an accumulator/drier. Napa calls it an accumulator. Each looks the same but the Napa offering is $30+ and the other two are $50+. I know the purpose of an accumulator and I know the purpose of a drier. What I am wondering is, does anyone know why the Napa offering is so much cheaper? You may have guessed my line of thinking or wonderment being, is the Napa offering just an accumulator only? Going in the store and asking is also a bit difficult being deaf. I get the typical blank stare for about 10 seconds and then start talking veeeeeeerrrry slowly that magically translates what comes out of their mouths into a different wavelength that is able to penetrate my thick deaf hearing.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:36 PM

my dad was a diesel mechanic and service manager for many years, so he has been around a lot of parts. He is now a Snap-On tools dealer and interacts with current mechanics every day. He tells me all the time how everyone now is talking about how absolute crappy the parts are from autozone, advance, oreilly. I hear from him that most mechanics agree that carquest has the best parts with napa falling second. As for your situtation i do not know why the Napa part is cheaper, but i would definately get the napa part

Last edited by CarolinaZJ; 07-14-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

I usually hear them referenced as a filter/drier (older style) or as an accumulator (newer style).

The accumulators I see are usually on a GM vehicle and are quite large, relatively speaking, as compared to the old filter/drier.

I believe the accumulator also has the drying function built in.

If the NAPA parts matches your original part, go with it.

If not, I would use O'Reilly's.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Did our a/c overhaul June '10....FWIW, got the accumlator/dryer and hose manifold (Goodyear) from Autozone....got the compressor and orifice tube/ liquid line from O'Reilly....system flush and oil from O'Reilly also.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: V8

I used Advance part, all were 4 Seasons. 4 Seasons has been around for ever and is about the best you can get.

Ron
Old 07-15-2011, 08:06 AM

NAPA, Autzone and O'Reilly are the 3 closest to my house. NAPA is typically my first choice.

On a related note, I am changing the compressor on my '01 which is what prompted the original question. I am of course, changing the accumulator/drier as well as the orifice tube. NAPA and O'reilly sell just the complete liquid line assembly and I assume the orifice is buried somewhere in the tube. Autozone sells both the complete line assembly and also the sell just the orifice. After removing my complete assembly, I can't figure out how you would even get to the orifice to just change it only. It looks to me as if the orifice is in the long straight section of the liquid line in a 4 inch area that is crimped apaprently to keep the orifice secure. But, as stated-I planned on changing the whole line anyway, it just struck me as odd how AZ would sell just the orifice.