Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Auto tranny shift linkage and gear indicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Auto tranny shift linkage and gear indicator

Alright, i've looked for this kind of thing before but im not sure if im just missing all the keywords or it isn't often addressed.

My shift lever , in short, is one gear forward of the actual gear. for instance, when the tranny is in "OD" the selector says "Neutral".

I know somebody posted (in my build thread, maybe? i cant remember) the procedure or diagram of how to adjust this. Does anybody else know the way to do it it wouldn't really bother me so much except for the fact that the reverse lights don't come on when its actually in reverse, i need to nudge the selector very slightly forward for them to sometimes kick on.

thanks all.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:54 AM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 274 Likes on 205 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Pop off the plastic bezel on the shifter and you'll be able to realign the slider that that shows what gear you're in.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by IJM
Pop off the plastic bezel on the shifter and you'll be able to realign the slider that that shows what gear you're in.
that's all? I assumed the problem was the actual linkage somewhere between the shifter and the transmission proper, and had to be done from underneath the vehicle?

If not, boy do I feel simple.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Seasoned Member

So I popped the bezel off and was indeed able to adjust the indicator. I guess the ll find out later if that fixed the reverse lights, but I have a feeling that is controlled by the NSS.