Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aussie locker in stall need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Aussie locker in stall need help

I have a 87 with a Dana 44, I got the axle shafts out, and the bearing caps loose. Do I have to take off anything else to get the carrier out. I think I am going to try and rent a case spreader. I am at a stopping point now. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tampaviking
I have a 87 with a Dana 44, I got the axle shafts out, and the bearing caps loose. Do I have to take off anything else to get the carrier out. I think I am going to try and rent a case spreader. I am at a stopping point now. Any advice is appreciated.
on pirate4x4 a guy made a case spreader out of bar stock, threaded rod, and a few nuts, I tried searching for it but i didnt find it. I dont remember what thread i saw it in either,...
Old 02-14-2009, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Tampa, After pulling the axles and removing the main caps my D44 Rear carrier came right out. You may need to coax it a little bit with a prybar. This is pefectly normal sometimes. I have yet to have to use a diff. spreader. I couldn't even tell you what one looks like. I'm guessing since you're removing the carrier that you couldn't get the pinioln shaft out past the ring gear. That sucks but, it only adds a few more steps.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:40 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996

ya, never needed a case spreader, done many. the do get stuck and you need to pry a little, but be careful cuz it comes poppin out hard if you don't expect it. little pries at a time, gradually increasing as needed.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

......and when it does pop out keep track of your shims and where they came from. The same amount will have to go back on each side or your rear gear adjustmant will be jacked up.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Location: tan house white shutters key's under the flower pot
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
......and when it does pop out keep track of your shims and where they came from. The same amount will have to go back on each side or your rear gear adjustmant will be jacked up.
yes, very important, and not just same amount of shims, but the exact same shim has to go back on the side it came from. they are all different, and have to go back where they came from.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

well I got it out by putting a box end wrench on one of the ring gear bolts, then held that against the axle housing. And then I turned the ring and it popped right out. Now I can't get the pin out. Its hollow and it just doesn't want to come back out. And I didn't see any shims anywhere. I will double check and I was expecting them to fall out every where but I didn't see anything. Time for some more pounding on that pin.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Tampa, I have some small star tip screwdrivers. These things work perfect for driving that roll pin out that hold the pinion shaft in. Pretty much any small screwdriver or punch that will fit in the hole will drive it out with just a few light taps of a hammer. I even used a regular claw hammer. Not a BFH.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Well that came out finally, now onto the next problem, I cannot get the cam gears in the carrier. I am gonna give it another hour. Maybe there is a funny angle I am not seeing. I had already double checked the website to double check that I got the right one. Here is a few pics.

you should be able to see how both of the cam gears don't fit together. thanks again, bobby
Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

You have to push the one cam gear all the way over until the teeth mesh with the side gear. My instructions even said push until the grease squishes out. Then, your other cam gear should fit in. It is a really snug fit when you get all of the pieces in there.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

That carrier looks awfully small for a D44.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

I just have big hands, It looks like it will fit no problem, there is just a little extra material on the carrier. In the top picture where the cam gear is getting caught up at is the only problem. Would it be safe to grind that little bit extra down. I think when I get done I will have set a record for an Aussie install.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:23 PM
CF Veteran

Be very careful when installing the springs and pins or you'll shoot one across the garage....LOL.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

it takes a little patience. it's kinda like a puzzle, getting the pieces inside the carrier. there are flat sides on the cam gears so you can fit them in.

why did you take the ring gear off? you should've been able to still do it with the ring gear on. matter of fact, you could've done it with the carrier still in the axle. however it's a little tougher.
i've only had to take the front ring gear off, only because i couldn't get the pinion shaft to clear the ring gear. the rear has lots of room.
i ask only because whenever you take out the ring gear bolts, you're supposed to use new bolts when you put it back together. those bolts are 10 bux each.

anyway, good luck, patience is the key. be careful with those springs. make sure you double up the springs and fit the pins in the proper side, it makes things alot easier to assemble everything.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

When I get it back together I will take another picture. There was no way the pinion shaft was coming out with the ring gear in it.

Quick Reply: Aussie locker in stall need help