Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ATF+4 or Dexron/Mercon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default ATF+4 or Dexron/Mercon?

Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm sure this has been covered, but I just want some up to date answers.

I just recently found out that the previous owner of my xj was using ATF+4 in the tranny. From what I hear this should not be used and Dexron/Mercon should be. Is this the case? Also, if this is the case, how do I going about changing the tranny fluid in order to make sure all the right stuff is in there and the ATF+4 is out?

My XJ has 63,000 on it and from what I can tell ATF+4 was put in it at 30,000 miles.

Would really like some feedback as quick as possible, because if ATF+4 shouldn't be used, I want to get it out of there.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TFitzPat87
Hi Guys & Girls,

I'm sure this has been covered, but I just want some up to date answers.

I just recently found out that the previous owner of my xj was using ATF+4 in the tranny. From what I hear this should not be used and Dexron/Mercon should be. Is this the case? Also, if this is the case, how do I going about changing the tranny fluid in order to make sure all the right stuff is in there and the ATF+4 is out?

My XJ has 63,000 on it and from what I can tell ATF+4 was put in it at 30,000 miles.

Would really like some feedback as quick as possible, because if ATF+4 shouldn't be used, I want to get it out of there.

Thanks!
Depends on what tranny. 42re/a 500 I run atf4
Old 10-12-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

What is a 42re/a 500?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Pelican
What is a 42re/a 500?
An optional tranny used in jeeps
Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

You're saying that was an optional transmission in our XJs? Never heard of it.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Pelican
You're saying that was an optional transmission in our XJs? Never heard of it.
Grand I know for sure around 93 I think?

He did say xj which I did not see at first.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

AW4 tranny. I have a 97 Sport.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

That's a Different tranny. My .02 TF, drain what will, and refill with the correct Dexron III fluid. Then repeat with engine oil changes. You will only get a few each time, but after two or three you will be about flyen right.

Whoops...WJ

Last edited by DFlintstone; 10-12-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:54 PM
CF Veteran

AW4 tranny. I have a 97 Sport.
Then dex3. The xj's did have an optional Chrysler tranny but not the aw4.

Not a big deal. I like the triple flush method used buy acura. Drain the old ATF out, fill with dex3. Do this three times. Driving it apr 5 to 8 minutes between changes.

Last edited by holycaveman; 10-12-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

5-8 minutes...because this has been evaluated in a randomised placebo controlled double blind multi centre study?

Just do the drain and refill procedure and drive in between and keep doing this until the ATF stays red.
Or don't even go through the hassle of repeated procedures and do what I did and do a so-called forward flush and be done with the entire fluid exchange in 15 minutes at home. Wrote up the procedure somewhere in one of the threads, can't recall where anymore.

AW4 uses Dex III/ Merc. Anything else is at your own risk.

Last edited by Roler; 10-13-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Roler
5-8 minutes...because this has been evaluated in a randomised placebo controlled double blind multi centre study?

Just do the drain and refill procedure and drive in between and keep doing this until the ATF stays red.
Or don't even go through the hassle of repeated procedures and do what I did and do a so-called forward flush and be done with the entire fluid exchange in 15 minutes at home. Wrote up the procedure somewhere in one of the threads, can't recall where anymore.

AW4 uses Dex/Merc III. Anything else is at your own risk.
Thanks guys. What is this drain and refill procedure you guys are talking about? I keep reading that the ATF+4 is not good, so I want to get it out of there and get some Dex/Merc III in there, but I heard that mixing the two isn't good either. I also am worried about doing a full blown flush as I've heard that creates other problems sometimes.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0

if you're trying to remove all of the fluid I'd use the unhooking trans lines method and fill with dex merc along the way.

Last edited by s346k; 10-13-2014 at 06:40 AM. Reason: ip5 > me
Old 10-13-2014, 06:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Thanks guys. What is this drain and refill procedure you guys are talking about? I keep reading that the ATF+4 is not good, so I want to get it out of there and get some Dex/Merc III in there, but I heard that mixing the two isn't good either. I also am worried about doing a full blown flush as I've heard that creates other problems sometimes.
Drain and refill: draining the ATF via the drainplug and refill with the same amount that you drained out (assuming correct level has been checked). Drive around for a few days or so and repeat this procedure. Keep doing this until the ATF that you drain stays a red/dark pink colour. Some will drop the pan on the last drain to replace the filter, but this is not mandatory. This method is fine and perfectly safe, but you will need the procedure done a few times, since you only drain part of the old ATF at a time.
That's all there is to that.

I wouldn't do a what you called " full blown flush" either, and is not necessary . Especially those flushes they do in shops....leave those.

The forward flush is not dangerous or damaging to your trans at all, since you use the transmissions own 'pump' to get rid of the old ATF, while you poor in the fresh ATF at the same time. Nil hight pressure maachines or the likes involved. Once it comes out clean, you're done. Good thing about this: it's fast, safe and you change as much ATF as possible this way (say nearly all) in one single procedure. As long as you make sure you poor it in the same time it comes out; that way your pump will never fall dry.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

AW4 uses Dex/Merc III. Anything else is at your own risk.
Yes it's not rocket science

Last edited by holycaveman; 10-13-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Drain and refill: draining the ATF via the drainplug and refill with the same amount that you drained out (assuming correct level has been checked). Drive around for a few days or so and repeat this procedure. Keep doing this until the ATF that you drain stays a red/dark pink colour. Some will drop the pan on the last drain to replace the filter, but this is not mandatory. This method is fine and perfectly safe, but you will need the procedure done a few times, since you only drain part of the old ATF at a time.
That's all there is to that.
I think I'll stick to the drain and refill procedure as that would be easiest for myself. How do I know exactly when it runs red/dark pink? Isn't all trans fluid that color already?

Also, I assume this mean's I'll have to purchase about the 3 times the amount of Dex/Merc III that I normally would since I have to repeat this process?

Quick Reply: ATF+4 or Dexron/Mercon?