Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

any good solutions to a lost title

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default any good solutions to a lost title

as this title says.

I had scrounged craigslist, & found a Cherokee earlier this year, I bought it with my tax refund money, I didnt really have money to put it on the road, so I fixed a few things, & now I am ready to put it on the road, & I cant find title, wife had done alot of cleaning, & afraid it may have got tossed out if it was mixed in with other paperwork she threw out.

I never titled it in my name, & person selling it had an open title, & had traded something for it, but just left it open. I did not save information from guy I got it from, I met him at a parking lot, & didnt even save his phone number.

trying to figure best options, part it out, & count my losses, & wait until my next year tax refund & buy another, I reallly need a spare vehicle right now, thats why I just found out that my title is missing. my vehicle is giving trouble, & I cant afford to buy another, I bought the Cherokee to have for a winter vehicle, or a spare if I need. well I need.

a very good friend says for me to get it to his garage & he will file for an abandoned vehicle title. he has got legal titles to vehicles custmers left when they refused to pay bill. he said it is alot easier than doing a mechanics lien, he has got 3 so far in last few years.

I also figure I could try DMV, find last registered owner, & see if they can get a replacement title, however, I know of 2 people that tried, & both failed, 1 the previous owner flatout refused, he said should have done it & now it was the new owners problem. the second the previous owner asked for alot of money to do it, or to give him his car back, my friend didnt buy car from him, & due to a house fire it was burned, & guy wanted $500 to get a lost title, & was trying to demand him give vehicle back, I think he sold it to cheap, or had sellers remorse, he was even threatening to call police & charge him with stealing his car, my friend smashed it with sledge hammers & called junkyard to come get, & that was 10 years ago with a Dodge Omni.

I knew of a few others where previous seller refused to get title after they had name took off DMV record as owner, so they didnt still pay tax for, 1 was an expensive Harley, but that was a customer, & not people I knew personally.

any good ideas?

afraid to try to contact the previous owner, based on what I have seen, but I know if go through garage, they will get registered letter, but even if they wanted to be jerks about it, they would have to pay storage fees, lol, so I would get my money back, & able to buy another. he charges $50 a day storage, starting 10 days after work is finished, & has it posted. thats why I wouldnt try myself, as previous owner could take it back, but not from shop, without paying fees.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Go to DMV and tell them the title was lost.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 AM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

if you know someone that owns a auto shop have them do a lien on it...make sure the amount on the lien is high so the po wont ****** it from you..pretty simple process if you dont know how it works..
Cameron
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Year: 1998

Look up bonded title super easy if you go threw a company, I've done it before no prob.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

I'd attempt to contact the person who's name it's in. The worst they can do is say no...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ck1
if you know someone that owns a auto shop have them do a lien on it...make sure the amount on the lien is high so the po wont ****** it from you..pretty simple process if you dont know how it works..
Cameron
I am talking about a mechanic garage, & he says it is alot easier to do a abandoned title, than a mechanics lien, & the process to get title. he has done both. probably the way laws are written here on east coast.

his storage is $50 a day, after 10 days for work completed, so adhering to the letter of the law, pretty easy to get quite a high bill.

as for telling the DMV you lost title, & you dont have, they can find the previous last registered owner for a fee, but otherwise they wont help you. not in the commonwealth of VA.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Year: 90

Google - title company + whatever state your in.
I have used such a company here in Utah that had a 100% refund guarantee for their service.
They even explained how I could do it myself, if I wanted.
It was worth it to let them do the work. I had my new title in about two weeks.