Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Antifreeze issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Antifreeze issue

So ive found this site to be pretty invaluable. Real life experience is way better than a chiltons guide could be IMO. so anyways heres my problem... 93 cherokee, stock, bought the truck in TN and I live in MI so no rust which is amazing here... love the truck.. really I do. Im getting another when/if this one dies... anyways, every few days i have to add around a quart of antifreeze. occasionally it leaks. Pinhole while pressurized? occasionally it doesnt. Occasionally I smell it.. which could be it on the exhaust from spraying. occasionally I hear it boiling over. not good i know. but i checked the oil, its not white at all.. its black but the oil seems to have a sort of grit or sand in it? WTF?! it burns oil but about a qt. every 2 weeks. i know its burning as the drive through is like a burn out. but anyone know what that sand stuff in the oil is? i was gonna sea foam the truck and see if that helps it at all but I dnt wanna dump tons of money into the truck and watch it die. its got 213k miles but as ive been reading thats still young compared to others. any help could be appreciated
Old 10-28-2009, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

I would spend a little money and see where it takes you. Flush the cooling system change out all the hoses, sea foam the crap out of it, change the oil. Get a new radiator cap.

After that kind of stuff see how it is doing and how you feel about it. If its a thumbs up then spend a little more and see what you can do.

I am working on getting mine sorted out myself its very slow going but getting there.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

yeah, sea foam i just newly discovered and havent heard anything bad was gonna pick that up when i get paid. is it a possibility of the oil im buying breaking down like that? i only get good stuff but since ive discovered it burning oil ive been putting in little cheaper stuff... not too horrible but like.. the store brand stuff. is there a possibility of the oil breaking down way earlier than it should? and i just replaced the valve gasket like a year ago. any possibility thats sucking in air and such?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1988 limited
Engine: 4.0 litre

You prolly have a radiator leak, check for antifreeze yellow spots under the rad reservoirs on the frame.
The sandy stuff in your engine oil is metal powder. How's your oil press? Any clunking/ticking noises?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Seasoned Member

a qt. every week or so? damn, haha... i would just go ahead and do what the above have posted (new rad. lines, t-stat, etc.) also, check the lines going to your heater core.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 HO

Try a bottle of Barsleaks, it worked for me and now my motor runs 10 degrees cooler.