Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another damn problem with the HEEP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Another damn problem with the HEEP!

Ok so I finally got the jeep running pretty good since the wife sank it in the river. I've done a lot of work on it to get it running again, changed every fluid in the entire vehicle. Ok so we decided to finally take it a little further from base and see how she ran. Well it ran great for about 100 kilometers on the expressway, but when we got off and were driving around trying to find a parking lot in down town Tokyo while we were driving around while starting from a stop and while turning slowly it sounds like the xj has a diff or like a limited slip that is trying to "lock". I don't know another way to explain it other than when im driving forward slow or turning slow it's a big clunk noise in the rear end, you can even feel it clunking in the rear. I cant pinpoint where the noise is coming from but maybe I have a limited slip and don't know. When I changed the fluid in it I never put the limited slip additive in it and maybe that's what causing the noise? Also what fluid is supposed to be in the t-case? And what weight gear oil do you guys use in your axles?