Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AMC jeep owners, need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default AMC jeep owners, need your help!

my 88 with 4.0L and 5 speed BA 10/5 (Peugeot) tranny, d35 rear end likes to break driveline components, way too often. ive broken 3 rear driveshafts and two diff yokes, 2 Dshafts were from being stupid, the 3rd was unexpected, but from being stupid none-the-less. my buddy was behind me and i was in 2wd and was gunna spray his truck with mud while we went through a puddle and i had it in 2nd gear, stomped on it and BANG the driveshaft broke again and took part of the yoke with it. mind you thats nothing that i havent done a million times before. so ive talked to a guy at the advanced near me and he says that 87-88 jeeps have a habit of chewing up driveshafts and rear diff yokes, now am i the only one who has this problem? could it be just my bad luck and stupidity? bad yokes and driveshafts? or that god forsaken Peugeot tranny i have in it?
and is it normal for yokes to break the ears off like in the picture below? because ive done it to 2 yokes now and i dont know if i should get another one from a junkyard or buy a brand new one?

and just so you can see how awesome i am here are the other 2 second one here and first one here ps, is there supposed to be cardboard in there?

Last edited by juice12292; 01-30-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

well yes its common for the yokes to break like that when the ds fails, it did on mine when the u joints failed. when you put the new ds in are you using new spicer u joints? if not that could cause early failure.

also is it lifted? vibes?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by darknezz
well yes its common for the yokes to break like that when the ds fails, it did on mine when the u joints failed. when you put the new ds in are you using new spicer u joints? if not that could cause early failure.

also is it lifted? vibes?
unfortunately i just throw the old ujoints in, because i never have enough money to do it, but i usually pull them apart and check out the ujoints to make sure they arent bad and then reinstall them and grease them. but no its not lifted and it never has any driveline vibes, at least none that i can feel anyway. makes sense that old ujoints would cause premature failure. ill be buying new ujoints this week when i get paid though.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

First of all is the jeep lifted?

Second, I do not suggest getting junkyard yokes. My factory one broke the ears off due to a bad ujoint. Getting new ujoints and a new yoke is going to save you money in the long run. Even if the ujoint is a cheapy 20 dollar joint from advance its gonna be better than used joints.