Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Altonator??

Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0 HO
Question Altonator??

so this morning i encountered a problem, my "GEN" light turned on and my voltage was fluctuating between right above the red to about 16. i have no clue what is going on with it, any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

first things first, get a voltmeter and check all contacts at alternator, and fuse box and then grounds. try to get readings first of that and then start diagnosing it. you some kind of base to start with and that would be the easiest
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by docmedpros
first things first, get a voltmeter and check all contacts at alternator, and fuse box and then grounds. try to get readings first of that and then start diagnosing it. you some kind of base to start with and that would be the easiest
yes! bad conection or alternator finally took a crap... mine went out on a 2 hour drive, got there and had it tested at autozone and they said it was good... put it back in said battery was bad... needless to say when i got home did it again (voltage drop to zero on dash) and autozone cant test crap took it to napa said alternator was bad!