Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

alternator or the voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves
Question alternator or the voltage regulator

SO i got my jeep running! i got it started. I had replaced the ecu. because i had a bad voltage regulator so i have an external voltage regulator wired in. Before when i fried it i took the jumper cables off and it would just flat out die. So now as i pulled out of the garage the battery died. So i jumped it. it started and then i took the cables and it died. So i swapped back to the old ecu. Then jumped it and took the cables off and it died. Its a dodge external voltafe regulator. Do u think i fried the alternator or the external voltage regulator?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Question

thoughts?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 PM

Question

i pressed down on the gas while the jumper cables got pulled and it still died. I replaced the alternator last month soooo thoughts?
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 PM

Question

just checked my fuze box and found that both of my alternator 60 a fuses have been blown haha could this be it?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:08 AM

Year: 1987,1990,1992
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, that could, but what caused them to blow in the first place?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by goblinish15
just checked my fuze box and found that both of my alternator 60 a fuses have been blown haha could this be it?
Very likely.

However, start at the beginning. What were your original symptoms that made you think it was the voltage regulator circuit in the PCM in the first place? From what I've seen, those circuits are fairly hardy and rarely cook.

NB: Wiring in the external voltage regulator will cause a "Persistent CEL/MIL," since the PCM will sense that the regulator output is being ignored. This can and do cause you to fail periodic emissions inspections, if you are subject to such.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:36 AM

Question

i had a ecu with a fried volt. reg.. so i wired in an external volt. reg.......last week i swapped the ecu and left the external voltage regulator wired in. So really i had 2 voltage regualtors working at the same time. So that probably blew both of the alternator 60a alt. power 1, and the 60a alt. power fuses. so i will replace those two fuses. I put the ecu with the fried voltage regulator in and kept the externally wired volt. reg. wired in. Think it will work when i swap those fuses now?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 AM

Question

when i got stuck in a puddle and kept the ol jeep running in water doh haha. got out of the puddle. starting driving. lost power. And died on me. i got it jumped and took the cables off and it died. The alternetor went bad i replaced it and the same thing happened. died when the jumper cables came off. Then a mechanic told me i fried the vol. reg. he externally wired it. So then it started working again and charging. Now here i am. I had the ecu swapped left the volt. reg. wired in with the new ecu. Battery died. jumped it took the jump cables off and it died. Then i popped the hood noticed the two alternator fuses were blown. I put the ecu with the fried volt. reg. in and now i just need to replace two fuses and hope it works now haha
Old 12-28-2010, 12:35 PM

Question

i hope it will fix it i dont have time cuz im busy. anybody think whaty i did will work?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

CHeck all your grounds, I had an eclispe that did the exact same thing that you jeep is doing now. It will run all day long with cable but as soon as one is takin off it completely dies. I found it to be a disconnected ground behind my a/c compressor.

To test the charge on the alt.. if you have a meter.. put pos + side of meter on Pos+ terminal of alt and Ground the other end of meter on good ground. Normally the block or body part will do. You should read 13.4-14v.. if so then you alt is charging. But mind you that if there a ground missing this may not work..

CHeck all body and engine grounds in the engine area.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:54 PM

Question

Soooo i sswapped the fuses and it started up first try. Then i had someone take off the jumper cables and it just pooped but the fuses didnt get blown.............................so volt. reg. or the alternator? ideas?
Old 12-29-2010, 01:21 PM

Question

So i took out the volt. reg. and im going to go pick up a new one. What does the voltage regulator have to do with the alt. and the charging system.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

So i took out the volt. reg. and im going to go pick up a new one. What does the voltage regulator have to do with the alt. and the charging system.
The voltage regulator:

The regulator is the brain of the charging system.
It monitors both battery and stator voltages and depending on the measured voltages, the regulator will adjust the amount of rotor field current to control alternator output.
Regulators can be mounted both internal or external. Current technology uses an internal regulator.

I still think you have a ground issue... you keep poping fuses because theres to much energy going in but has no where to end. Have you checked all battery and engine grounds?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

it regulates the voltage output of the alt
Old 12-29-2010, 05:39 PM

Question

So i swapped the volt. reg. The battery meter goes up to 14 when it gets jumped and doesnt stay at 12 cuz now there is a good flow of energy. No fuss poped now, and it runs for about ten minutes without being hooked up to jumper cables. then the battery meter starts going out and it dies. I put the voltage tester to 20. i put the black to a solid groung and i put the red on the terminals and got no reading i put them together on the terminals and tried every combo......so bad alt.?

Quick Reply: alternator or the voltage regulator