Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alternator/Battery... Draining some were? IDK HELP PLZ

Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC 242 I6 (4.0 L)
Default Alternator/Battery... Draining some were? IDK HELP PLZ

So I bought a new battery and Alternator.
89 jeep cherokee xj 4.0
the alternator is the Basic 61 Amps. And the Battery is a 725CA/580CCA

And the alternator wont charge the battery. the alternator is brand new. and it will start the truck perfectly fine, idle correctly. and every thing. it ran all day off of the brand new battery. started it like 10-15 times no problems with starting so i figured it was fixed, also the wattage inside my dash said 11. and it dropped down to 9 didnt think any thing of it since my friends dad who is a "master mechanic" said its usual for jeeps to have there volt wattage stay at that. The battery when it was first put it and we let it idle for a half hour we put the tester on it and it was at an even steady 12-12.30

and it looked like the alternator was charging it then. but we run it all day going to places like mall and etc. i go to start it in the morning it starts. i get about half hour to 45 minutes away from home and i stop at the store before i get to work and i turn it off and i go get a soda come back out and battery is dead.. i know i didnt leave the lights on nothin.. any ideas?

Last edited by Robert_7200; 12-02-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Last edited by Robert_7200; 12-03-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Robert_7200
So I bought a new battery and Alternator.

the alternator is the Basic 61 Amps. And the Battery is a 550 cold crank

And the alternator wont charge the battery. the alternator is brand new. and it will start the truck perfectly fine, idle correctly. and every thing. it ran all day off of the brand new battery. started it like 10-15 times no problems with starting so i figured it was fixed, also the wattage inside my dash said 11. and it dropped down to 9 didnt think any thing of it since my friends dad who is a "master mechanic" said its usual for jeeps to have there volt wattage stay at that. The battery when it was first put it and we let it idle for a half hour we put the tester on it and it was at an even steady 12-12.30

and it looked like the alternator was charging it then. but we run it all day going to places like mall and etc. i go to start it in the morning it starts. i get about half hour to 45 minutes away from home and i stop at the store before i get to work and i turn it off and i go get a soda come back out and battery is dead.. i know i didnt leave the lights on nothin.. any ideas?
In looking into it for 5 min (usin the search function on here) the battery should be in the 700 amps (about 640 cca, apparently) and the alt. should be closer to 100-135 amps. I'd say you are under powering your system. Never a good idea. Also, your volt meter dummy gauge is either broke or reading correctly, but if it is accurate then that's not normal. My guess is the gauge is accurate and the underpowered alt. and battery are being indicated on gauge. You could try load testing the battery to see if it is offering proper amperage? Idk, this is just my .02! Good luck.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
In looking into it for 5 min (usin the search function on here) the battery should be in the 700 amps (about 640 cca, apparently) and the alt. should be closer to 100-135 amps. I'd say you are under powering your system. Never a good idea. Also, your volt meter dummy gauge is either broke or reading correctly, but if it is accurate then that's not normal. My guess is the gauge is accurate and the underpowered alt. and battery are being indicated on gauge. You could try load testing the battery to see if it is offering proper amperage? Idk, this is just my .02! Good luck.
I tried using search function and i fail at using it..

yeah but the auto part store said that i would need a 61 amp one hmm. idk dammnit lol wouldnt it still charge the battery a little atleast?
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, 60amp alternator is more than enough to power your vehicle. Only if you were running your radio full blast, all your lights on, windshield wipers on, and maybe running the heat/AC full blast without a working alternator, would you drain the battery dead like.

An inexpensive volt meter is an indespensible tool to have when working on any vehicle, especially when electronics are involved. That being said, you should have 12V at the battery and over 13.5V when the engine is running. If you don't read at least 13V with the Jeep running then the alternator is not charging. I'm not completly sure but there could be a faulty fuesible link in the charging wire from the alternator. It would be good to check continuity between the battery and the alternator.

So before you start tearing into that starter relay, check your voltages
Old 12-02-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Yes, 60amp alternator is more than enough to power your vehicle. Only if you were running your radio full blast, all your lights on, windshield wipers on, and maybe running the heat/AC full blast without a working alternator, would you drain the battery dead like.

An inexpensive volt meter is an indespensible tool to have when working on any vehicle, especially when electronics are involved. That being said, you should have 12V at the battery and over 13.5V when the engine is running. If you don't read at least 13V with the Jeep running then the alternator is not charging. I'm not completly sure but there could be a faulty fuesible link in the charging wire from the alternator. It would be good to check continuity between the battery and the alternator.

So before you start tearing into that starter relay, check your voltages
i didnt plan to tear into it i was just curious on what it was..

yesterday i was at 12v with the Jeep started lol.. on an 89 jeep Cherokee is the Voltage regulator external or internal on the alternator?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Robert_7200
i didnt plan to tear into it i was just curious on what it was..

yesterday i was at 12v with the Jeep started lol.. on an 89 jeep Cherokee is the Voltage regulator external or internal on the alternator?
internal
Old 12-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Sounds like the alternator is not charging.
If you bought the alternator at Autochina or one of these junk stores, it's almost guaranteed it's a defective alternator. All they sell is crap.
Yellow pages - find a specialty shop that rebuilds alternators - they usually are cheaper and do it right the first time.
Otherwise NAPA.

The gauge inside on the dash - not Watts - it's Voltage. Your "mechanic" should know that. Find a mechanic that knows something.

It should read just over 12 Volts engine off, key on with a fully charged battery.
Engine running it should read above that, more like 13.5 - if the alternator is charging.

When you start it you should see the voltage increase from whatever it was, even if it was only 9 VOLTS.

The Voltage regulator is inside the computer - seldom a problem, but many get replaced from misdiagnosis.

Last edited by rrich; 12-02-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by rrich
Sounds like the alternator is not charging.
If you bought the alternator at Autochina or one of these junk stores, it's almost guaranteed it's a defective alternator. All they sell is crap.
Yellow pages - find a specialty shop that rebuilds alternators - they usually are cheaper and do it right the first time.
Otherwise NAPA.

The gauge inside on the dash - not Watts - it's Voltage. Your "mechanic" should know that. Find a mechanic that knows something.

It should read just over 12 Volts engine off, key on with a fully charged battery.
Engine running it should read above that, more like 13.5 - if the alternator is charging.

When you start it you should see the voltage increase from whatever it was, even if it was only 9 VOLTS.

The Voltage regulator is inside the computer - seldom a problem, but many get replaced from misdiagnosis.
i bought it from a Good place napa auto parts.. they sell quality. and it read at 12 volts with engine started.. (brand new battery) and it ran all day with the new battery till this morning lol and now it wont start.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you went and had it checked for charging when its running most auto parts stores do this for free, should read around 13.8 when runing

Last edited by freegdr; 12-02-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
have you went and had it checked for charging when its running most auto parts stores do this for free, should read around 13.8 when runing
It was running at 12.3 when started yesterday.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I dont' think he reads english very well. We're telling you it should be above 13V if its charging, and actually it should be above 14V.

12.3V is what the battery will nominally read. Alternator is not charging. Could be the alternator or a fuesible link that's bad.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cherockee
I dont' think he reads english very well. We're telling you it should be above 13V if its charging, and actually it should be above 14V.

12.3V is what the battery will nominally read. Alternator is not charging. Could be the alternator or a fuesible link that's bad.

I READ ENGLISH VERY WELL>.< just a bit flustered and pissed off lol

i was trying to tell you when i took it up to nappa the guy said it was reading at 12.3v thats all i was saying. and i dropped the alternator that i just bought and had it tested like 3 times they said it was good.

ANd what fusible link would be bad? and how can i tell were they are located?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

A fully charged battery should read 12.6. In order for the charging system to fill it, it has to be greater than 12.6. Typically it'll be a high 13 volts or or a low 14 - if charging.

If it has a fuseable link it'll be right on the back of the alternator.
Before blaming it - check the voltage right on the big terminal on the alternator - while running - it should be the same as you read on the battery - near 14. If same, the fusable link is fine. If it's real high compared to the battery voltage, the link is bad.

I'll bet the alternator is bad - but they don't know how to test it. Try somewhere else. Incompetence is rampant.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Year: 97+

OKAY, all the BS aside, your fuseable links are the "what is this" picture you posted. Yes they can go bad, and yes it sucks. Try to feel for a break on all of them, or if you have a wiring diagram (repair manual, internet, or this forum) then you can narrow it down to a few to check. I have had this happen to me on a 90 and an 87 so it is absolutely a possibility!

Sometimes a fuseable link will even appear "toasted" I am not telling you that a fuseable link is absolutely your problem but just trying to help you out with the process.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator/Battery... Draining some were? IDK HELP PLZ