Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 91
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Alternator

My alternator is getting bad in my 91 Cherokee my friend told me he saw on here that I can take a alternator from a V8 grand Cherokee and it would benefit me a lot more then getting a normal one but he wasn't so sure. Can someone help us clarify this.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998

The issues with a swap for one made for another vehicle are the following:
  • Pulley. If it's not exactly the same, you'll have to change it. This will entail a puller and pressing device.
  • Wiring. It has to wire up correctly. If it's from a '91 GC, then you likely won't have an issue here. Other years may also. be sure first.
  • Fit. Will it fit ok in the space available?
  • Brackets. Is the one from the GC mountable on your existing brackets?
Get those questions answered before you invest time and money in the swap. If the output of the GC alternator is bigger than yours is, that won't cause any problems in of itself. It actually will be better if you install any additional electrical accessories to your XJ.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wondering, what do you mean your alternator is "getting bad"? I 've replaced lots of alternators thru the years and none let me know they were on the way out.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 AM

Year: 2000 Limited

Inexpensive replacements at Morris:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-al...e-xj-sj-mj.htm
Old 11-27-2011, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
The issues with a swap for one made for another vehicle are the following:
  • Pulley. If it's not exactly the same, you'll have to change it. This will entail a puller and pressing device.
  • Wiring. It has to wire up correctly. If it's from a '91 GC, then you likely won't have an issue here. Other years may also. be sure first.
  • Fit. Will it fit ok in the space available?
  • Brackets. Is the one from the GC mountable on your existing brackets?
Get those questions answered before you invest time and money in the swap. If the output of the GC alternator is bigger than yours is, that won't cause any problems in of itself. It actually will be better if you install any additional electrical accessories to your XJ.
  • Pully. If it's a seven-groove pully, you can just mount the belt in the rear six (leaving the front groove empty.) The pullys are usually the same size - if it's a bit larger, you'll have to rev up the engine a little higher to get full output (but shouldn't make a difference at cruise.)
  • Wiring. Staring about 1999 or so, Nippindenso went from a pair of M4 studs for the field connection to a funky two-pole quick-connect plug. I'm still trying to fab up an adapter kit for that, but it can be done in the field if necessary. The field coils are generally not polarised, you'll just have to make sure both of them get hooked up. Also, your mains wiring should be upgraded (I offer kits, click the link in my sig.)
  • Fitment. The 136A unit from the ZJ, WJ, Dakota, and Durango is somewhat larger than the 90A/117A unit used in the XJ (or the 70A or 90A you got in 1991,) and you'll need to clearance-grind the mounting brackets. About 1/4" of material needs to be removed.
  • Bracketry. See note under Fitment (q.v.)

I've posted a list of donors for up to 160A from Chrysler vehicles - but about half of the 136A donors have the funky field coil plug, and everything with a higher output rating than 136A will have the funky field coil plug.

This swap has been covered extensively previously, so I shan't go into greater detail here. The information is out there if you look for it (you may find pictures as well...)
Old 11-27-2011, 09:21 PM

Year: 91

Originally Posted by Squid
just wondering, what do you mean your alternator is "getting bad"? I 've replaced lots of alternators thru the years and none let me know they were on the way out.
I mean as in its shot
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Year: 2000 Limited

I have a 2000XJ Limited with heated seats. It has a 124A alternator, if you can find one in a JY I am sure that it would bolt right on.