Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

All I can find is winch behind bumper, thats not my question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All I can find is winch behind bumper, thats not my question.

I thought I read something before about installing a winch bumper on what to look out for. Maybe the gear box? It should be here today and will be putting it on this weekend. What should I expect? Are the steering box bolts hard to get out? and will I need to drill any holes? Any info would be great. Is there a way to anchor the gear box so it doesn't fall out? Or will that be an issue? Thank you.

Last edited by troy fritz; 04-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:52 AM
CF Veteran

any help guys? The bumper is supposed to be here in the morning.I'm installing it this weekend.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

i guess you are going to find out on your own. i have no idea but you looked lonely so i answered
Old 04-23-2010, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

The bolts have blue loc-tite on them, that's about it. Just be careful about the box falling out.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 PM
CF Veteran

i removed the paint around the steering box bolts and PB Blasted them. Is there anything else?I also have MAP gas if that will help.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 l

If you need some help let me know.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

It may be clear to you what your working with but the rest of us have no idea....

I dont think my magic 8ball is gonna help in this thread..
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Hard to tell whats involved with winch bumper install without at least knowing who's bumper you are installing. there are maybe 20 or more different MFG's out there and they don't all install the same way. Bungie cords or wires are very handy for holding things in place when bolts are removed. PB blaster helps to loosen stuck bolts.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

Its a Logans winch bumper. I am trying to find out if I break the steering box bolts ,what should I do?Is it anything like the rear shock bolts where Im gonna pay hell if they break? How do I get them out if they break?If I cant get them out then do I replace the steering box? If thats the case then I might sell the bumper. I dont have that kind of money to throw around. Ive seen them for like $800 in catalogs.The bumper has 7 holes on each side where it mounts to the frame if that helps at all. Also Im working with a 96 XJ auto ,4.0 and NP 231 if that info is needed.If you google Logans metal products you will see what bumper Im installing.Its the middle one with the winch bar and not the pre runner bar.
This is a raw steel winch bumper for the 84-01 Jeep Cherokee XJ with the brush guard. This is a pic of it.

Last edited by troy fritz; 04-24-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Use lots of PB Blaster, should be OK. Steering box bolts are nut/bolt, if you break one the rest of it will fall out, you just have to get a new bolt, no big deal. get new grade 8 bolts from Napa. All of the bolt you will be working with are Through the frame nuts on bolt, NOT weld nuts. I think... Junkyard Steering box from a pre 95 ZJ is a good upgrade at about $30, anyway.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

The steering box bolts are easy to remove. I used a 3/8 ratchet with no excessive force. The bolts thread through the steering box, but shouldn't break on you. I had an '88 from ALASKA and those still came out smooth with no problems.

Your gonna want a second set of hands to hold the steering box in place while you thread the bolts through. Make sure you don't miss the steering box spacer or the will never line up.

Just installed my JCR bumper w/ tie-ins in the rain and it wasn't the worst. It's just kinda tight trying to get your hand on the steering box from the top AND getting it lined up. Be patient, but the install will most likely take about an hour. At least it did for me.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2.5TURBO
The steering box bolts are easy to remove. I used a 3/8 ratchet with no excessive force. The bolts thread through the steering box, but shouldn't break on you. I had an '88 from ALASKA and those still came out smooth with no problems.

Your gonna want a second set of hands to hold the steering box in place while you thread the bolts through. Make sure you don't miss the steering box spacer or the will never line up.

Just installed my JCR bumper w/ tie-ins in the rain and it wasn't the worst. It's just kinda tight trying to get your hand on the steering box from the top AND getting it lined up. Be patient, but the install will most likely take about an hour. At least it did for me.
Thanks. Thats what I was looking for,some good info.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

the steering box spacer is made out of aluminum so it kinda fuses to the bolts, all three of the bolts on mine broke even after pb blasting them every day for a week i got a new spacer from C-rok http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html it is a lot more heavy duty than the stock one, in case you brake yours this is a good replacement
Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by REWSTER
the steering box spacer is made out of aluminum so it kinda fuses to the bolts, all three of the bolts on mine broke even after pb blasting them every day for a week i got a new spacer from C-rok http://www.c-rok.com/sb.html it is a lot more heavy duty than the stock one, in case you brake yours this is a good replacement
How did you get the broken bolts out?
Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Mine broke off in the spacer also. I just dropped the box out the bottom as much as I could, heated up the spacer a little bit and tapped it off with a hammer. The rest of the bolt was easy, just grabbed it with a pair of vice grips and threaded the rest out.

They use a ton of salt on the roads here in the winter...and it seems that mine had never been removed.

Quick Reply: All I can find is winch behind bumper, thats not my question.