Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L
Default Alignment Issues

I'm having some annoying alignment issues. My drivers side front tire is leaning inward quite a bit(negative camber), causing the jeep to pull to the right and also causing excessive tire wear on the inside. The jeep was aligned twice by two different shops, both claiming the alignment is perfect. It's my understanding that you can't adjust the caster and camber on an XJ, only the toe. ALL ball joints are nice and tight. Soo what would be causing my tire to be lean inward?? Neither one of the alignment shops could tell me why. I recently did a 3" lift consisting of leaf packs, coils, and shocks. I did not relocate the track bar or extend sway bar links (I doubt either of these would affect the alignment) the axle maybe shifted to the side a bit from not relocating the track bar, but it shouldn't have any affect on camber. Jeep hasn't been off road yet, so i don't think anything could be bent.. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated! Tires are too expensive to keep ruining! Thanks guys.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Track bar can throw your aliment off as it locate your axle as you lift the suspension the track bar will pull the axle to the drivers side. you might need to drill a new hole for the track bar or get an adjustable one. And you can adjust the caster on a jeep its just a pain in the ***. there are 2 bolts on the lower control arm brackets that can be adjusted in or out those will set the caster of the axle. if you have negative camber on a sold axle rig you have major issues. Either a bent C or a bent housing.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0L

How would i check for a bent C or bent housing? I highly doubt something is bent however. I haven't wheeled it at all, and i bought from like a 90yr old guy lol i know he didn't wheel it. But i guess something being bent is the only answer for the negative camber..?