Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airconditioner delete pully question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Airconditioner delete pully question...

My ac started grinding at the compressor, it ate the belt, and is seized. I took it off, and all the internal seals are gone, allowing acid to just pour out of it... ok, total loss. Since the warm season is over, and I'm kinda strapped on cash, I bought an ac delete pully {doriman, mounted on a plate, from jegs. Bolted it in place, and now, am having a heck of a time getting the belt to stay on. It keeps jumping half to a third way off at the alternator pully. I thought 2 things... 1. Perhaps I have to place a washer or two under the firewall end of the plate that takes up the location of the ac, to perhaps change the angle of the wheel the belt rides on... or 2. It might have to do with the fan clutch. I took the fan off, and it spins kinda tough. I assume this is a normal function of the fan under low speeds so it will still rotate.

Mechanically speaking... without the fan in place, the belt should still stay on. The only thing I've done to it is pull the ac and put in the delete spacer pully. Yes, the pully is for the 4.0. Any input on putting a few washers under the plate, puttting the plate on, and trying again? Also, how tight should the serp belt be? I tried it normal, tight, ad even loose to see if this would affect my outcome to no avail. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Also, if anyone says... take off the spacer and buy a shorter belt, please don't answer. Only some vehicles can do that... NoT a 98 4.0. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I had to really tighten the belt TIGHT, and i mean tight, tighter then any other car or truck ive ever owned. It is a crazy belt route. But yea i dont know anything about that ac delete pulley, id say if its not lined up, line it up with washers sounds good. pic's?
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

The dorman ac delete / bypass pully workd great. As to the belt slipping issue I was having... I got underneath my girl, and the harmonic balancer was coming off! There was clean steel behind it, giving away the issue that it had slid forward. Changed the balancer/dampener, and all is well. Thanks again for the help.
Attached Images