Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbags/steering wheel issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Airbags/steering wheel issues?

Alright guys my first post, but not my last.

First kind of a intro I do not own a jeep yet, but I want a Cherokee and will have one Tommorow at the earliest 2 weeks at the latest.

Here is the question, Tomorrow I will be looking at a 98 Cherokee Sport. great deal. The problem is, it was in a front end accident and both airbags went off. all the damage was fixed, but the airbags are still kind of hanginf there.

I dont care or need airbags. How much will it cost to just remove the steering wheel and put a nice looking Aftermarket one with out an airbag?

Is it possible to do this?

Now for the Pass side can I just push that thing back up in there and seal it(I know the airbag will be useless, but again I dont care)?

Any thoughts, links, or any info would be appreciated?

My main goal is to make it look nice, not to have the airbags work again. I know replacing them is expensive.

Can I just patch them up or something?

Thanks for your time
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

I have never seen a post 97' with an costom steering wheel i dont know if you can do it. However it would cost around 600 or so dollars to re pack eachone or you could go to JY and see if you can find a a couple thta havnt been ruined just be carefull when working around those things. HTH
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Here's the deal with airbags:

Under the wheel itself is whats call the clockspring- basically the igniter for the airbag.
It is about 1 1/2" thick. An aftermarket wheel will not fit as the shape of the clockspring won't allow the aluminum column adapter to tighten down on the column itself.

TWO ways around this:

Keep the stock wheel and either remove the airbag mechanism (usually 4 torx/allen head screws) And use it like that, or get another airbag.

Replace entire column with a non-airbag unit. And put whatever wheel your heart desires on it.

IMHO:
Replace the airbags and get them in proper working order.
Why? Are you purchasing this Cherokee from a DEAD GUY? If he's still alive, has his face been destroyed from hitting teh windshield, are his front teeth missing from eating the steering wheel?

Everyone that says they hate airbags have never had one save thier lives.

I have been in several accidents my many years of driving, and there are a few hits I wish I would have had an airbag. Having a wired jaw is something you remember for a long time.