Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aftermarket radios with the OEM appearance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Aftermarket radios with the OEM appearance?

Someone made mention today of a company that makes aftermarket car audio with the appearance of the factory radio. Has anyone heard of this or know the company who sells these?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I have only seen them for the old classic cars. But nothing special for anything newer then the 70's. The ones I have seen sold them for my 65 Chevy P/U at LMC Truck.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

I don't know the name of the company, but on the tv show, my classic car, (I think) they have the company on there
Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

There is a company called Koolertron that makes many radios that fit your description. They tend to specialized in those models that have full color touchscreens and built-in DVD/Nav. They are sold on Amazon, and possibly other places. They are not cheap...

Sadly, I have searched myself, and they don't seem to have a 1.5 DIN unit that fit our XJs.

Years ago, Blaupunkt made some very nice, very clean looking radios. They are still the OEM supplier for some of the European car makers. Blaupunkt left the US market for a few years, but has recently returned and they have 3 or 4 single DIN modles available on Amazon and other sites. Once again, sadly, they have lost their "factory" look and have gone a little more "blingy". They are still more reserved looking than a lot of the Japanese/Chinese stuff, but the models I've seen thus far don't have the all features I want (Bluetooth, HD radio, etc.) combined in one unit.

The best possible option that I've found that may be coming down the pike is a new luxury brand put out by Dual. It is their Axxera line. While it doesn't look factory, it does have a lot of the features I'm after.

Take a a look here:

http://www.axxera.dualav.com/mobileaudio/receivers.php

I'm leaning toward the AXD530 model.

I've also considered modding a Bluetooth capable unit and essentially hiding it and just using it as an amplifier, then using my Nokia Lumia 920 smartphone for all my music needs.