Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

aftermarket motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default aftermarket motor mounts

i bought these motor mounts and they didnt fit my jeep. called daystar and they said some jeeps were made with the engine mount having a lip so we just need to grind it off and they will fit. took the engine mount off grinding the lip and tried getting them on. took about 3 hours and finally got them on, but it raised the motor at least a full INCH up! and it was HELL getting them on! Dad had to use a crowbar prying up the motor and a floor jack just to get them to fit and their tight as crap. with the motor raised up the fan was hitting the shroud, well i touched the fan shroud and it broke off.....go figure............finally got them on and the mounts work fine. should my motor be a whole inch higher!?? also, when im driving, there are alot more vibrations in my car than there used to be, when i give it gas i can really tell the motor is there, it vibrates alot, the rear view mirror looks like its barely vibrating cuz its foggy to look in it......all that work and its worse..........any reasons as to why i have more vibrations? maybe motor is touching the body somewhere? stupid daystar..........
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Prothane-...n=DAYKJ01004BK
Old 02-08-2010, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

The reason im switching to a heavier duty motor mount is due to the fact that i've broken 3 stock motor mounts in the time period of 6 months. its always the driver side mount....thats without doing any 4-wheeling.....just the occasional driving through the sand...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Well now you have changed the angle of the dangle and that aint good... so for starters make sure the tranny is not hitting the fire wall as it real close to start with right behind the head...
and second......well you basicly have sold mounts with just a tad of cusion.. they will never feel like factory moter mounts...if you keep breakin them the easyest way to keep from doing that and have nice ride is get factory mounts and put a turn buckel with a few links of chain on both sides... object is to tighten them till you feel it vibrating in car.. then loosen a few turns.. then when you dive normaly the chain will stay slack.. soon as you romp on it.. the motor is tied to frame solid threw the chain turnbuckle..
Old 02-08-2010, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

ok..................well..........why would they make a motor mount that lifts my motor.....whats the point of that? i didnt need it lifted, just stronger.....makes no sense why it isn't the same exact motor mount just polyurethane...........
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Does someone make a aftermarket motor mount that doesn't raise my engine any higher than its supposed to be???

I've never seen a vehicle that breaks motor mounts like my jeep does...
Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Yeah, X2 to what Hommer said...
The mount you installed is nearly a solid mount so it's not going to dampen the engine vibrations much at all, instead it's going to transmit then through the entire Jeep. Secondly, when they raised the engine, it changed your driveline angles which could be contributing to the the vibes also. If it were mine, I'd look into misalignment issues (possibly caused by a front end collision??) that may be causing you to break mounts.