Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

after market cd player no sound!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default after market cd player no sound!

i may not be the brightest person but i have sucessfully installed an after market cds player in every vehicle i have owned.. now this jeep, it befuttles me. it has the infinity sound system with the bull**** amp under the seat.i bought the harness and i'm sure that is is wired up correctly. even the ground in the back. i'm getting power to the unit and it turns on and even plays cds. but... no sound. not anywhere. not one speaker. is there something i am missing and need to bypass? or does it not work with the infinity amp crap or what? its been too long of messing around with it and i'm starting to get really aggravated.. someone please help
Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It could be that the factory wires are broken in the door boot or behind the kick panels. It is common. Test your stereo by using a short pair of wires to jump it to a spare speaker just to make certain the stereo is in working order. Always best to be sure before you do a complete rewire.

It could be that the factory amp is dead due to moisture/age.

It could also be that your wiring harness is not for the infinity system, I am not trying to second-guess you, only throwing out possibilities.

Below is my write-up for running fresh wire to the door speakers, though you are probably familiar with doing the same, the door-jam boot can be troublesome because it is so tight around the factory wires.

-----------------------------------

In my '99 the speaker wires were wrapped with the other wires (power locks/windows/mirrors). The speaker wires broke in the boot, multiple times it would seem by the way the P.O. spliced it 4 times on 1 strand and 2 times on the other...

I started with a spool of 16gauge wire at the dash with the radio out, ran it within the dash (your route doesn't matter as long as the wire doesn't ride on anything that moves or is sharp) and to the kick-panel area. Keeping the wire on the spool until you are done entirely with that side will save you from cutting it too short and wasting the wire.

Using the old wire to pull my new wire through was impossible, so I used a flat-head screwdriver to pop the boot within the kick-panel as well as the boot between the door and the vehicle. The kick-panel boot is big as is goes into the sheetmetal but was so tight around the factory wiring that I couldn't slide anything through, so I VERY carefully punched a hole through the rubber portion above the original wiring and slid my 16gauge wire through it.

Then I fished it through the between-door boot and into the door. Give yourself plenty of slack in the wire thus relieving tension to lessen the chance of the new wire breaking. Then hook it up to whatever speaker you are running. Re-secure both boots, they mash in pretty easily and have a nice rim that rides the sheetmetal, and make certain they are seated well so that your wiring never touches bare metal.

Hook it up properly to the stereo and rinse and repeat on the other side and you are golden.

Last edited by Autonomous; 03-24-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM

i am sure the wires are not broken. the factory unit works. all four spekers. as far as the wire harness... that may be. the factory unit had two, grey and black, plugs in the back. the new harness does as well... however, there is another connecter in the factory wiring on the jeep... it has three wires, but it was no plugged into anything factory, that i know of at least. the new harness does have another connected wired in with it, but i'm pretty sure its for another model chrysler...
Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Try the AM/FM. Does that work? If so, you connect the wrong (there are 2: External Amp, & Power Antenna) blue wire for the amp power on. Happens ALL the time with the XJ. If you pick wrong, the amp will only come on when the stereo sends the Power Antenna (i.e. AM/FM) signal to the Amp

Last edited by TheNerd; 03-24-2010 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:29 PM

Engine: ???

Two things to check, 1ST you have to make sure the speaker wires you are connecting to are in fact speaker wires. Take a battery like a D cell and hook a wire to both ends and then touch them to the + and - side off the speakers and listen for noise. Keep touching the wires to the speaker wires and you will hear it scratching. If you hear no noise from the speakers you will need to get a wire harness the hooks up to the amp and splits the speakers for you. My 05 ram had the infinity system, and I had the same problem. Sent a pm.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

aftermarket cd players dont tend to work with factory amplifiers. i had the same problem when i was installing my pioneer in dash tv.. i took the pioneer out a lil and tested one of the speaker wire before it went to the amp.. and walla it work so i just yanked out the factory amp and rewired all the speakers work great...

Pioneer indash tv 7" touchscreen
marine pyle 4 channel 1000w amp
4 marine pyle 200w 6.5 component speakers/ tweeters at each speaker..

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 03-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM

Year: 1996

Call the radio manufacturer. My friend had a 91 ford probe that did the same thing with a sony unit. he called sony and they told him to wire it differently.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Year: 1989

theres wiring harnesses that you can use with factory amps. may not be for all vehicles but I've had luck using factory amps with aftermarket stuff. either that or just bypass the amp.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:53 PM

problem solved. turns out that power to the amp had to be connected to the powere antenna wire. odd i suppose, but hey, its works just fine, i mean granted the inifity amp makes things sound awful, but for the mean time, it works. thanks to all
Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Glad you got it working
Old 03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a jeep a couple years ago. 1998 Cherokee with a stock radio. For some reason I could not get it to turn on. So I jumped onto Crutchfield and ordered a cheap pioneer. Install went very easy. The new deck turned on but no sound. Checked all the wiring and everything was where it was supposed to be. I was baffled. Had a buddy check over everything. Perfect. Tore the door panels off and found a blown speaker. Okay. Had some speakers on the shelf, and hooked one up. Sound! Well anyway it turned out every fricken speaker in the Jeep was blown. Bought Jeep from elderly couple and they musta been jammin! Sorry for the long winded, mean nothing story. LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.7 Stroker I6

yea of course the factory amp needs power hooked up to it from the head, its the remote turn on, just like any amp, otherwise it would be on all the time. Bmws are the same way, didn't know the jeep had a factory amp, but now I do. I haven't got my cd player in yet, but I'm sure I would figured that one out being used to it.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:45 AM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Glad you got yours working, but figured I'd post this anyway in case someone else has problems with no sound after installing aftermarket head unit. Might be solution for them.

Also on some, if not all, Infinity equipped models you need to make sure to connect the amp ground wire, otherwise no sound of course. It's a wire with a female spade connector on the end of it that snapped into back of factory radio.

Either add a short piece of wire with a male spade connector on the end to your radio ground connection and plug it in OR just cut off spade connector from wire coming from amp and splice it into the radio ground connection.

Last edited by RoadWarrior00; 03-26-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Ground!

Check your ground. I can only listen to AM with my stock stereo. Its ok cause thats all I listen to anyhow.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:17 AM

Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by blkcheerio
problem solved. turns out that power to the amp had to be connected to the powere antenna wire. odd i suppose, but hey, its works just fine, i mean granted the inifity amp makes things sound awful, but for the mean time, it works. thanks to all

Wouldn't recommend attaching the amp power(12V) wire to the antenna wire from radio. I doubt the power antenna circuitry in the radio is designed to hold the power requirements of the amp. Amp main power wire needs to be connected to the separate amp or the radio 12V wire coming from dash harness.

If you meant the remote wire, I suppose you could attach that to the antenna lead but I imagine there is a separate lead from dash harness for amp remote lead as well.

Looked it up and not sure about on yours but on a '99 the remote lead from amp is Brown/White and likely same on dash harness. Not sure on power wire because it goes through fuse panel. To fuse panel it's Red/Black from amp & looks like may be Red/White from fuse box to radio harness.

LINK TO SOME '99-04 JEEP WJ Radio wiring diagrams-Likely same/similar for XJ's though (Free):
http://wjjeeps.com/audiowire.htm

Another source for car radio & security wiring diagrams I found (Fee Charged):
http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com...20Directer.htm

Personally, I use Alldata for my auto tech specifications needs (Fee per vehicle):
https://www.alldatadiy.com/

Am guessing if you did wire the amp 12V power wire to the antenna, that would probably explain your poor sound issues as amp isn't getting the power it needs. Unless amp is about shot, it should be more than adequate to push all but maybe the extreme high-end aftermarket speakers with good sound. I have never had, so can't vouch for their amps, but Infinity makes excellent speakers. Plus, I imagine Chrysler used inferior Infinity components compared to their aftermarket offerings. Their reference series speakers are comparable to good Pioneer, Sony, etc.., but the Kappa series is top notch and I would rank right up there with Polk, MB Quart & Boston Acoustic. Kappa's are all I buy when I can afford and find them(hard to find). Usually get mine from Crutchfield. AND NO, I DON'T WORK FOR INFINITY, JUST AN EXTREMELY SATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!! LOL

Anyway, just figured I'd put in another 2CENTS. LOL

Last edited by RoadWarrior00; 03-26-2010 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added diagrams link

Quick Reply: after market cd player no sound!