Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Afraid of seriously damaging my engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Afraid of seriously damaging my engine

As unfortunate as it is, it seems like my jeep is being held together by duct tape. Everything is falling apart on her little by little, but I'm doing what I can with what money I have. She's my daily driver as well and that makes it worse. But to get to the point, my main problem as of right now is the fan gave out behind the radiator. I know well enough not to drive it because the engine could over heat or worse. But I don't have a clue where to start looking for a problem. I got this jeep from my brother about 4 months ago and I've been trying to learn as much as I can. When I got the jeep the fan was wired manually to where you would connect two wires ( my guess, hot and negative wires ) to turn the fan on. Well for a temporary and cheap fix all I did was buy toggle switch to turn it on. I've been driving it like that for two or three months then as of tonight the fan stopped working. I don't know if the crap load of rain we got here in south west Florida last night may have caused it or if a wire came loose somewhere but I'm desperate for help.

Happy Holidays to you all - Zach
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 PM

well, ive been in these problems. find a buddy who knows cars and tell him youll buy him a 6 pack and pizza let em look at it OR just sell it.
ik it sucks but.. well.. life goes on and you can get a better one.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

well you need to be sure the fan works, or you got power to the fan....could try jumping wire from a battery to fan to test or get a voltometer to check for power...also could try spinning efan: there should be some resistance to the spin....also search function, and chilton and haynes manuals are awesome...good luck
Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jomps
well you need to be sure the fan works, or you got power to the fan....could try jumping wire from a battery to fan to test or get a voltometer to check for power...also could try spinning efan: there should be some resistance to the spin....also search function, and chilton and haynes manuals are awesome...good luck
Thank you so so much
Old 11-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by forestgreen
well, ive been in these problems. find a buddy who knows cars and tell him youll buy him a 6 pack and pizza let em look at it OR just sell it.
ik it sucks but.. well.. life goes on and you can get a better one.
There's no way I can sell her, she hasn't given up on me so I can't give up on her man
Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

you only got one fan
Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 AM

The toggle switch was bad. I really wish I had the money or parts to make this jeep the jeep she should be. It was a simple fix. It's just temporary though. I tried checking to see if I could get power to it last night after I ran it eleven miles like that with no fan ANSI wasn't gettin any power to it. Well I traced the hot wire and found where my big brother ghetto rigged it to the battery. Basically the hot wire was bad so thankfully I had some extra wire Layton around thanks again man I really appreciate it