Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice requested in Jeep purchase

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Advice requested in Jeep purchase

I've found a decent jeep on the ol list and I'm not sure what is entirely wrong with it. In the add the seller (to me at least) seems to be pretty honest and straight forward about the car. I've been trying to stay away from a previously lifted jeep because A. I don't want to have to worry about somebody else's shotty work, and B. I want to see where I can go with it stock and then decide what I want to do with it. The lower mileage(as most jeeps in my preice range are pushin' 200k) counters all that though(I hope). So what I'm getting at here with this thread is, 1. What and how hard do you think they would be to fix ? and 2. are the problems that the seller talks about, somewhat common to xj's?.

I appreciate any and all help on the matter and am absolutely dying to have my very own Jeep!
Stuart
The Ad: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1267893850.html
Old 07-15-2009, 05:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Doesn't sound like too bad a deal. Got all that extra stuff. Lots of the lifting work has already been done and the engine problem sounds like a simple catalitic converter plug up. If you get it it's easy to diagnose. Just disconnect the exhaust before the cat wire it so it doesn't hit the ground and take it for a spin. It'll drive like a scalded cat!
The guys on here will tell you where to get good tire deals.
Geeze most of the work has already been done for you!
Wish my 91 looked that good!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 PM

i just checked it again and I think he sold it. Bummer, thanks for the info though
Stuart
Old 07-16-2009, 02:36 AM

Its back up again and I think its even less now! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1272270244.html

It's so tempting what with the price and goodies included. Yet I'm very hesitant of buying a car that isn't running right. Does anybody else feel like weighing in on what the problem, and its severity might be?
Stuart
Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM

I sent the guy an email asking him to go a little more in depth into the problems the jeep has, this is what he wrote

"If it is cool out like low 80s or cooler it takes awhile for the truck to get about half way in heat. once it gets to half way thats when the power loss happens. Once the power loss starts the truck starts to overheat. as it overheats the power loss gets worse till the truck will only do about 45mph floored. i have not diagnosed anything because this was my trail rig and i have since built a toyota and only my girlfriend drove the jeep. I have been told that the cold start is related to a ignition switch problem but i cant gurantee that. on a warm-hot day the jeep starts instantly on a cold day you have to put the key in atleast 20 min before starting. i usually do it about 2 hours before just so i know it will start. the colder it is the longer it takes. if the truck is in the sun and its cold it will usually start between 8-9am. if its in the shade an cold it can take till 11am to get it started. also one other thing i forgot to mention in the add. the stearing column is loose from trail riding and ive been told the bracket came loose and just needs to be reseated. "

From what I've found in searching these forums and others (naxja) it does sound like the cat could be the culprit in the powerloss/heat issue, but I've yet to find anything to explain the cold starting issue. Could they be related? Any help would be extremely appreciated as I need to know if this is going to be a relatively simple fix or a giant can of worms that sucks my bank account dry.
Thanks
Stuart
Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

its hard to say for sure wether that is the problem i personaly will never buy anything lifted or modified by the PO to many unknowns but it seems like a decent deal lot of stuff to fix though