Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

advice on possibly buying this 1998 xj please

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default advice on possibly buying this 1998 xj please

hey guys one of my friends is looking to buy a cherokee and he found this one on CL. asked me to post it up here and see what your opinions are about it and if he should go look at it to possibly buy it. thanks for your help.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/1790477494.html

i'm thinking the price is a lil high?

ac is a little concerning as to what is wrong?

a manual transmission with that miles, any reason to be cautious considering some ppl just beat the hell out of them?

i have to post this line from the info:
" This Jeep is extremely rare, especially as a 4 door! "

-just kinda makes me laugh.

but yeah if you could offer your opinions or advice that would be great! thanks guys
Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder

looks like a clean jeep price may be a little steep tho....
Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Blue book here would be $3995, so, yeah, a little high. AC could be low freon or bad compressor or bad pressure switch, who knows. 150K is pretty good miles for a XJ. Condition looks excellent, doesn't look abused. 4 doors are not rare, 2 doors are. Window issue is common to XJ's, can be made better. There are some nice extras, but upgrades are never worth their cost.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

A couple of ideas...

Are you skilled with a stick?
Offroading with a stick if you aren't can be a b*tch.
Imagine a 30% or greater incline and stalling...

Also, I think the price is a little steep.
It took me about 3 months to finally find the 98 I wanted, at the price I wanted to pay. Some owners know that these Jeeps have a following.

Sounds like he's a little over the blue book, especially considering the swamped 'cash for clunkers' used car market.

Overall, I'd keep looking.

Good-luck.
Hope to see your bud as a member once he makes a purchase.
I LOVE my 98. A good vechicle.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM

yeah he's been driving a manual for at least 10+ years now and the only person i've met who is better would have to be his mom so i'm sure the stick part won't bother him at all.

i was thinking it was priced a bit high too.

i completely missed the fuel gauge not working all the time either. that could be more than you think right? cause i believe everything is located inside the tank which has to be pulled right?

think it would be helpful to ask for more detailed pictures of the jeep especially underneath? if so any specific things he should ask for pics of?

thanks guys.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

rare?!? i think not. maybe rare to have GC seats in it. mileage for that amount of money is high i wouldnt pay more than 3500 for it only because my xj when i bought it was less miles, looked way cleaner, and didnt have the ac/fuel issues this one has, and i only payed 3200. id say keep lookin at least till this kid/guy gets a clue.
good luck!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by XJSETH
rare?!? i think not. maybe rare to have GC seats in it. mileage for that amount of money is high i wouldnt pay more than 3500 for it only because my xj when i bought it was less miles, looked way cleaner, and didnt have the ac/fuel issues this one has, and i only payed 3200. id say keep lookin at least till this kid/guy gets a clue.
good luck!
sorry there is nothing rare about this xj. i wouldnt even pa $3500 for it. keep looking this guy selling it is a tool!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997 XJ
Engine: 4.0 HO JASPER MOTOR

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
sorry there is nothing rare about this xj. i wouldnt even pa $3500 for it. keep looking this guy selling it is a tool!
glad you agree with me
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM

I paid $2700 for my '99 Limited and it had 142500 miles at the time...
wow, that seems pricey or someone is just using kbb to price it
Old 06-17-2010, 09:34 PM

hahaha...... thanks guys. always helps to get other opinions especially those of ppl who dont hold back when their opinions.

thanks again.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:49 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
same
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 PM
CF Veteran

it's probably worth about 3500. i'd say not a penny more.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

For every deal that comes along there are umpteen other people that got a "better" deal. I've known a ton of people that paid "half what you paid"...and paid the other half over the next three months fixing all the crap that was wrong...not to mention all the time, effort, and aggrovation. 5700 might be steep but if it was a legit vehicle, you could do worse.

That said, this is not a legit vehicle. The guy has poured money into it for a year...and is "considering" selling it. That rings about a 9.0 on my BS-o-meter. Worse, anybody that thinks an XJ is rare is mentally well-done. Ooo, la la, an AX-15...be still my heart. And, as if that weren't enough, it has the ultra-rare 19 gallon fuel tank. Did I mention seat swap, eight million dollar sound system that he'd consider selling with the vehicle and the rare semi-comotose A/C system. Good grief, the guy wrote War & Peace for a craigslist ad. It reads like one of those late night infomercials. Finally, I trust nobody that uses the word "incredible", "extremely", or "rare" in a car ad. I would not drink beer with them either...and I'll drink beer with nearly anybody, even my horse.

BS, BS, BS, BS. Run for your life.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CAEMI
For every deal that comes along there are umpteen other people that got a "better" deal. I've known a ton of people that paid "half what you paid"...and paid the other half over the next three months fixing all the crap that was wrong...not to mention all the time, effort, and aggrovation. 5700 might be steep but if it was a legit vehicle, you could do worse.

That said, this is not a legit vehicle. The guy has poured money into it for a year...and is "considering" selling it. That rings about a 9.0 on my BS-o-meter. Worse, anybody that thinks an XJ is rare is mentally well-done. Ooo, la la, an AX-15...be still my heart. And, as if that weren't enough, it has the ultra-rare 19 gallon fuel tank. Did I mention seat swap, eight million dollar sound system that he'd consider selling with the vehicle and the rare semi-comotose A/C system. Good grief, the guy wrote War & Peace for a craigslist ad. It reads like one of those late night infomercials. Finally, I trust nobody that uses the word "incredible", "extremely", or "rare" in a car ad. I would not drink beer with them either...and I'll drink beer with nearly anybody, even my horse.

listen to this guy. he's the used car salesman's worst nightmare
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by CAEMI

hahahaha....
great response..... those are the kinds i'm looking for. someone who doesnt hold back. you guys are awesome.

Quick Reply: advice on possibly buying this 1998 xj please