Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Advice for an introductory jeep addict

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L V6
Default Advice for an introductory jeep addict

First off I'd like to say that I am a long time reader first time poster of this forum. I've followed many of helpful guides and taken a lot of adivice from the very knowledgable members here and for that I'd like to give a BIG thanks. This is my first stop for anything jeep related.

Anyway, I've owned a jeep cherokee ever since I started driving some five years ago and I have grown extreamly found of them. I started with a 99' white 4x4 XJ sport and my oh my did I put her through hell and back. Two accidents, twice over heated, three mufflers, thermostat, radiator, alternator, starter motor, leaf spring, header panel, fender, running the front tire sideways into a curb, basically you name it and I broke it and (not always successfully) fixed it. Well the old gal still runs but has been retired and replaced with my 00' grey 4x4 XJ Classic. The body and interior are in much better condition and is an overall upgrade from my last one.

So this time around I would like to do things differently. I plan to take much better care of it and want to dabble in some off road. If any of you out there have some advice for a begginer jeep modder it would be greatly appreciated. I've had this XJ for a week and half now and this is the list of things i would like to start knocking out....

-Fog light not working (Most likley the OEM switch?)
-Driver side speakers not working (Most likley broken connection in door hinge)
-Headliner sagging (Fixes?Replacements?)
-Slight squeeling from back tires while driving
-Rough start-up but smooth afterwards(Clean the throttle body?)
-Shorting the window lock
-Blown tweeter in passanger side door

I know a lot of this stuff is just a simple search away and I plan to utilize that tool, what i was wondering is if any of you veteran jeepers had suggestions on other projects to look into and tips for maintenance.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Not sure where what your weather is like, but Im in Wisconsin. My jeep had its plastic bumper caps removed asap, they trap salt/sand and other stuff, so they are the rustiest part on my jeep besides the drivers floorboard. I plan on doing the cut and fold of the rear quarters because I think it looks better and I dont feel like taking care of that rust.

Id also at least check the floor boards by taking the carpet out, the top is more likely to rust first as the insulation is a sponge. If the floor boards have surface rust take care of it. Id also at least take the insulation off the carpet so you dont have to worry about it as much, or take the carpet completely out like I did. The carpet removal is probably a 2 hour job at most if your seats dont have rusted bolts.

I also want to eventually get the old roof rack that goes along the whole roof instead of starting a couple feet back.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM

I'm right across the lake from you in Michigan, so depending on the week I could get snow/rain/heat/and hail. The salt is especially bad in the winter months as i'm sure you probably know so the bumper caps will probably come off when the snow comes back. As for the rust, I've only noticed it under the plastic step guard on top of the back passanger door. I plan to take the carpet out and look though, as it was an issue with my last cherokee. The bolts on the front seat have started to rust so ill hit them with some PB blaster before attempting to remove them. Any advice on taking care of the rust? I've heard about sanding it down and hitting it with POR?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Member

I have no advice as I still have massive holes in my floor and the new floor pan is still in my basement(my friend and I will be welding it in later this month), Id suggest a breaker bar though if one of your seat bolts is too rusted, I completely sheared the head off the bolt on the back of the drivers seat. Id suggest taking off your bumper caps asap since you live in MI.

For surface rust weve just sanded the metal bare and primed and painted, at most we might put some bondo on it. I have no experience with POR 15, a part of me seems to doubt its abilities to "stop" rust, on other vehicles my family had: we've covered rust holes with duct tape(my POS 1991 s10) Pop riveted sheet metal over the rockers on my dads 89 wrangler, on my brothers 88 Ranger we welded some makeshift cab mounts.

We have no professional quality ways of welding stuff and normally are makeshift ways on beaters. But with my 99 I plan on cutting out any significant rust and re-welding new metal in. This is literally the best condition XJ Ive seen in person and I want to keep it around a while. Money permitting.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

If you do take out your carpet and leave it out, Id probably suggest getting thick floor mats, especially for the passenger side as thats where the exhaust and most of the heat is.

Also for taking the rusted bolts out, Ive heard that using heat such as an Oxy-Acetylene torch is the best, a propane torch may work though. It should expand and contract the metal as it cools breaking the rust. I didnt have a torch so I used brute force, unsuccessfully.

Look up how to use a torch to get the bolts off as I dont have experience with that. If you plan on using it.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Also if your rockers are in good shape still, clean the drain holes out that are in the pinch weld below the rockers. x2 on the carpet removal. My jeep was super clean to the eye but I removed the carpet and "wow" saved me from new floor pans but barely.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Right on guys! Thanks for the advise!