Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Adding lights?

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this question. I looked around a bit and didn't see a more obvious spot for it.

Anyhow, I've got a 2001 Cherokee Sport. I've already gotten rid of the oem sealed beams and upgraded to the Autopals with 55/60 halogens. It was a huge improvement, but I'd still like to add a couple more front lights. I bought the Jeep with a high output alternator (200 amp, I think???), as the previous owner had plans to add lights, but never did. So, I just want some tips/ideas for adding a couple lights up front. I'd rather not mount them right on the bumper, but I haven't found a bull bar/push bar/brush bar (whatever you wanna call them), that I like - to mount them to.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You could get a new front bumper with a bar attached, or use your stock bumper and add lights(but you don't want to do that), or mount them on the roof.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Detours off road, check em out.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Check my build thread! I've got the detours set up
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by The91XJ
Check my build thread! I've got the detours set up
Yep, that Bumper Brow Lite Bar from Detours IS exactly what I'm looking for!!

Where did you get your lights? Any suggestions for what I should look for in a pair of lights? Basically, I'm just looking for some extra "backroads" visibility. I'm not a serious off-roader (yet). I basically just use my jeep for towing my jet skis on my 3-place trailer - I build and race stand-up skis - and sometimes I drive and launch right from a sandy beach or in places where there is no "real" boat launch. Sometimes I need some extra light for setting up camp or finding stuff in an extra garage I rent w/o electricity.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Most lights come in some typical configurations. There are usually 5" and 6" 55 watt or 100 watt lights. There are some 6" units that have 130-150 watt bulbs. I currently have the ProComp 5" 55 watt fogs on my front bumper and they throw plenty of light. They were $19.99 each, but be prepared to spend a bit more for a switch, wiring, a relay and socket, and inline fuse holder. Those two lights pull about 9.5 amps of power.

Many will recommend Wally World and Harbor Freight lights, and they'll get the job done, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up well for more than 2-3 years.

I hesitate to say too much at this point, but I'm an LED flashlight freak. Have been for years. There are some LED off road lights by a company called VisionX. Well, because of my overseas buying connections on a lot of my flashlights, I was able to get in touch with the company that actually makes VisionX's lights for them. VisionX has a 10 watt "Solstice" LED light that puts out the equivalent of a 35 watt halogen. They sell all over the internet for $115-$130. I'm looking at importing these and other lights from this manufacturer and selling them here in the states. It's not set in stone, but after the cost of the lights, shipping, and tariffs, I may be able to sell the Solstice style lights for around $87, which is 25%-33% less than what VisionX sells them for. Same light, just without the VisionX logo on it.
I've got some samples headed my way, and when they get here I'll be doing some testing and comparison to traditional halogens. I want to get some night shots so people can see the output compared to traditional off road lights. The advantages being 1/3 the power draw for a given light output over halogens, much less heat, simplified wiring due to no relays being needed in clusters up to 8 lights, and no bulbs to burn out. Two of these lights would only pull less than 2 amps of power.

Once I'm satisfied on the quality of the lights and can work out a more permanent business arrangement with the manufacturer, I'll likely put out a feeler here to gauge interest. Maybe do a group buy to start or something. I'm also working on a supplier for LED rock lights that are bright enough for spotting, yet pull very little power, and are small enough to mount damn near anywhere.