Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding a factory sound bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Adding a factory sound bar

I just pulled a factory sound bar at the junk yard today and my jeep dosnt have one. Is there a plug that the sound bar shoul go to or will I have to run wires to the head unit?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Bump
Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

What year is your rig? I am guessing pre '96.
If jeep was not equipped with soundbar, it most likely has speakers in the hatch door. It is usually one or the other, but not both. The speaker wires travel along headliner trim in the cargo area, driver side. There may or may not be a plug.
If there are no speakers at all in the rear, I would bet the wires are still there.

Also, the center of soundbar is held up by long pins that go through dome light and held on by push-on fasteners. These pins are threaded and the mount hole should be in all XJ's of similar production years. Without center support, soundbar will sag/fall.

Last edited by SteveMongr; 04-27-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
What year is your rig? I am guessing pre '96. If jeep was not equipped with soundbar, it most likely has speakers in the hatch door. It is usually one or the other, but not both. The speaker wires travel along headliner trim in the cargo area, driver side. There may or may not be a plug. If there are no speakers at all in the rear, I would bet the wires are still there. Also, the center of soundbar is held up by long pins that go through dome light and held on by push-on fasteners. These pins are threaded and the mount hole should be in all XJ's of similar production years. Without center support, soundbar will sag/fall.
My 95 has the sound bar and the speaker grills in the door, but nothing behind them. When you pull the panel for the door, there is mounting for speakers but no wires. So your wiring likely passes through to the door if you currently have rear door speakers. You could just clip the wire and turn out at the sound bar. Six speakers does nothing for sound on most head units since they are usually 4 channel. If you are using an amp that's a different story and likely you would rewire a bunch of stuff anyway.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
My 95 has the sound bar and the speaker grills in the door, but nothing behind them. When you pull the panel for the door, there is mounting for speakers but no wires. So your wiring likely passes through to the door if you currently have rear door speakers. You could just clip the wire and turn out at the sound bar. Six speakers does nothing for sound on most head units since they are usually 4 channel. If you are using an amp that's a different story and likely you would rewire a bunch of stuff anyway.
^My '96 is the same way.
If the hatch-door is wired for speakers, wires will still run along top trim after exiting wire boot between door and chassis.

I am mystified by the six-speaker system in my '96. Head-unit is 50watt X 4. Has grills in the dash, but no speakers. Found an unconnected factory wire harness under dash, with 4 wires leading into a plug, but plug is only 2-prong. I connected a speaker to it, and it sounds good.
There is no stock amplifier that I am aware of, so I do not know how that works.

Also found the light harness for both footwells. I just plugged in lights, they come on with dome/overhead lights.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:21 AM

Mine is a 89 sound bar is compleat and pulled from a 96 with the screws for lights and speaker covers. I have the Laredo so it's power everything. The rear hatch has speakers in it. So there might be a chance I got the plug for the sound bar on the driver side behind the spare tire?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 AM
Beach Bum

Perhaps, but only if the soundbar was in production for an '89. Not sure when it started.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:02 AM

So if I don't have the plug I got to run wires to the head unit?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Beach Bum

Perhaps I misunderstand, I thought you wanted to use the existing speaker wires for hatch speakers, and run them to the soundbar. Eliminating the rear hatch speakers.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:28 AM

No I wanna have rear hatch and sound bar and front doors. Only reason I want the sound bar is cuz I'm gonna take the doors off in the summer thought some extra tunes would be nice to help out
Old 04-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by fannitti
No I wanna have rear hatch and sound bar and front doors. Only reason I want the sound bar is cuz I'm gonna take the doors off in the summer thought some extra tunes would be nice to help out
Oh I see.
If you split wires into a 6 speaker system it also splits the Ohms and power, or something like that.
What some do is install the soundbar just behind front seats. Install plugs on door speaker wires. When going doorless unplug speakers from door harness and plug into soundbar harness.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Beach Bum

Could do the same with the sound bar in rear-stock location. Run the wires up to front kickpanel where they connect when doors come off.
There is also molded kickpanels made that accept speakers. Driver and passenger footwells. I think they are a great idea, but cost like $150.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM

^My '96 is the same way. If the hatch-door is wired for speakers, wires will still run along top trim after exiting wire boot between door and chassis. I am mystified by the six-speaker system in my '96. Head-unit is 50watt X 4. Has grills in the dash, but no speakers. Found an unconnected factory wire harness under dash, with 4 wires leading into a plug, but plug is only 2-prong. I connected a speaker to it, and it sounds good. There is no stock amplifier that I am aware of, so I do not know how that works. Also found the light harness for both footwells. I just plugged in lights, they come on with dome/overhead lights.
Wow, that's cool. I gotta look for that foot well plug. I would love to add a little more light.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Beach Bum

Originally Posted by Cheddarnut
Wow, that's cool. I gotta look for that foot well plug. I would love to add a little more light.
To clarify, I only found the light harness on driver side. I just ran two sets of small gauge wire from it, one going to passenger side.
Used cheap LED panel lights of 24 (2" x 2" approx.) only $1.12 each.
So much brighter than stock. I fit them them in overhead console (4 lights) and two panels fit in rear dome light. Eight total. Lights up the interior very well. Over one year and no burnouts.
Link to lights; http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24-SMD-LED-Car-Interior-Light-Panel-Auto-Lamp-Bulb-With-3-Adapters-SY-/321583788020?hash=item4adfe32ff4&vxp=mtr
Attached Thumbnails Adding a factory sound bar-dsc04308.jpg   Adding a factory sound bar-lights.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 01:00 PM

To clarify, I only found the light harness on driver side. I just ran two sets of small gauge wire from it, one going to passenger side. Used cheap LED panel lights of 24 (2" x 2" approx.) only $1.12 each. So much brighter than stock. I fit them them in overhead console (4 lights) and two panels fit in rear dome light. Eight total. Lights up the interior very well. Over one year and no burnouts. Link to lights; Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-24-SMD-LED-Car-Interior-Light-Panel-Auto-Lamp-Bulb-With-3-Adapters-SY-/321583788020?hash=item4adfe32ff4&vxp=mtr
Awesome, I actually have some led lights laying around. When I get the floor pans welded I'll tackle the lights. Great idea on the console housing, I have a couple of cracked ones in the bin.

Quick Reply: Adding a factory sound bar