Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding 2nd horn

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adding 2nd horn

Ok, I posted this elsewhere. Maybe it was the wrong thread. I hope someone can help with this. An electrician Im sure will know how to make this work.

What I want to to is add an extra horn that would be operated independent of the stock horn. I am thinking I can do this w/ a 3-way toggle switch w/ two on positions. My idea is that in the Off position just the stock horn would work. In top position only the second horn would work but by still using the horn button on the steering wheel. In the bottom position both horns would work at same time. What I need is a simple wiring diagram of how to do this and where I should put a fuse. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 AM

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0l
Default much easier

Bro, i think theres an easier way. just get a momentary push button, and use an inline fuse. mount it to the dash. or if ya want to fancy it up look for a steering wheel mounted one with a coiled cord. You should check by the bookstore on your way to get the parts. Pick up a book for 20.00. There are several Auto electrical handbooks, they make a great bathroom read. They are filled wiht basic hotrod wiring info.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Originally Posted by geeknik
Ok, I posted this elsewhere. Maybe it was the wrong thread. I hope someone can help with this. An electrician Im sure will know how to make this work.

What I want to to is add an extra horn that would be operated independent of the stock horn. I am thinking I can do this w/ a 3-way toggle switch w/ two on positions. My idea is that in the Off position just the stock horn would work. In top position only the second horn would work but by still using the horn button on the steering wheel. In the bottom position both horns would work at same time. What I need is a simple wiring diagram of how to do this and where I should put a fuse. Thanks in advance.
Sorry, I have to ask. WHY?....Sounds like a lot of work. If just you want to freak the s**t out of people. Keep a air horn can in the cup holder. That will get their attention!
Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Year: 1994

The easiest way would be to run the air to its own switch on the dash, but to do it your way, you have two options. Option 1 - add the switch between where to positve wire, from the relay, splits between the ari horn and the OEM horn. this will aloow you to choose what horn you want to use Option 2 - (much safer way) put the switch between the OEM horn hot wire and the relay and have that wire running to another relay for the air horn. this will only allow you to use one at a time, but reduces risk of fire. hope this helps.

Last edited by mike.2492; 05-22-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Year: 1989

All good ideas and yes while some are easier they are not as cool as the way I want it done. MHO anyway. And its not an air horn. Sorry, I should have stated that. Its a car alarm horn with out the other electronics involved. I touched the two wires of the horn to my battery and it worked....made a LOUD noise, lol. So yeah its to freak people out maybe, (not really), but mostly for on trails where the road winds tight, let people know I'm there around the bend type thing. But I appreciate all the replys, especially the diagram you made mike.2492. That really helps me out. And the idea about getting a car electronic manual is good too, johnpalmer00.