Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC HELP!!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AC HELP!!!!!

My ac hasnt worked since i bought my 95 cherokee. but now its around 100 degrees here everyday. i need help! i think i just need more refrigerant but im not sure.. how can i tell?
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Take it to someone that is licensed (State and Federal) and have them check the charge.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:36 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

For the backyard mechanic this can be tough. Basically if you put more refrigerant in and it works for more than a few days a can or two of leak stop should fix it. If not you need to find where it's leaking out.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

I have a 96 cherokee and there is a sight glass below the compressor you can check to determine if the freon level is low. Turn on the ac system to Max cold and fan on high. Look into the site glass to see if there are bubbles present. It there are bubbles, add a can of freon and you should get cold air. It it lastes only a few weeks, there is a leak somewhere in the system, probably in the condenser located in front of the radiator. This is where I found my system leaking. Also check the nuts at the back of the compressor, I found mine were not very tight. I tired the stop leak and it never sealed anything, the freon always leaked out.