Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ac/heater problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ac/heater problems need help

My AC or heat is not working on any setting? I've replaced the switch, resistor, and fuse! i removed the blower motor and added power to it and its works fine! I'm also not getting any power to the motor after putting a ohm meter to the plug. is there any thing else i should be looking for or has anyone had the same problem?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 2.5 L

What do you mean "AC" is not working. When i hear "AC" i think of AC compressor. If you are not getting any air flow out of the vents its a blower issue. I am new to forums but i am an ASE certified Technician.
I know to some people it doesn't mean much but i do work at a shop and electrical is what i do best so if you can give me some info Year Make Model and Engine size i can get a hold of a wiring diagram i might be able to guide you into fixing the problem and teach you a little about electrical diagnostics.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 PM

it is a 1996 cherokee 4.0 5 speed. im just not getting any air flow in any climate setting. the blower motor never kicks on!
Old 05-17-2014, 07:33 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 2.5 L

So i got a hold of a diagram and hopefully it is the correct one. So electricity flows from a 60 Amp Fuse in the Power Distribution Center number 8 to your ignition switch. From your ignition switch it goes to the Fuse Block Through Fuse number 5 (30 Amps) and out to the A/C - Heater Control Switch . From there the wire is spliced and one lead goes to the blower motor resistor and the other to the Blower Motor Switch. Electricity will either go through the resistor in whichever position the Blower Motor Switch will send it OR it will send it directly past the resistor and send a straight 12 volts to the BLower motor Which will then create a voltage drop across the blower motor causing it to spin and electrons are sent back home through ground. If the motor does not work on full speed you are either not getting a good ground or no power. This whole circuit gets power from the 30 amp fuse (fuse 5) I would go double check that this fuse is good and that you have a proper ground. I will work on posting the wiring diagram to make it a little easier to understand.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The fan speed switch on the climate control panel may be cooked. Pull the panel out and look at the speed switch connector to see if its melted.

If the connector and the pins on the climate control panel appear okay, the switch itself may be bad.

Name:  1988CherokeeACHeaterControlunitback.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  456.8 KB

Name:  96FanSpeedSwitchConnector.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  170.0 KB