Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC (condenser coils) question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default AC (condenser coils) question

My 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport - a/c just started blowing only hot air. Thought I'd try cleaning the coils behind the grill first. Cannot fit a water hose handle behind to rinse out. So looking for maybe a non-rinse chemical I could spray onto the condenser coils which are located behind the grill. Wondering if this is the best way to try first (before taking to a shop). On a budget, so thought I would try to do it myself in case cleaning the condenser coils might improve it. I've seen various bottles of concentrate and also ready to spray aerosols for a/c coil cleaning not made for automobile use, however, seems it would do the job perhaps. I am doing this myself, a novice, learning what I can do myself and what requires (due to my inexperience, only certain tools) expert help. Is spraying a no-rinse condenser coil aerosol spray through the grill (or removing grill as it appears only to be held by screws) to get closer to the coils - is this advisable? Thank you. (I am aware of the coolant/freon might be needing to be replaced - however, I am seriously wondering if it's just clogged with years of grime/bugs on coils.) Thank you to anyone with advice for this mountain girl's Jeep Cherokee. It's hot weather, like to get a/c on again.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Hi there
First of all, what symptoms do you have other than hot air? Can you hear the AC compressor clutch cycle on? Does it stay on for a while, or does it click on/off in pretty short succession?

I would wager that the condenser coils are NOT the source of the issue, unless they are completely plugged with mud.
Chances are that the refrigerant level is low, or the compressor isn't spinning for some reason. Check refrigerant levels and if they are low, you can "jump" the AC compressor on so the system will fill properly if the AC compressor won't kick on

​​​​​​
Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM

I doubt they've been cleaned ever it is a 2001 Jeep Cherokee, I can see some debris, gunk, etc. but not anything that would get my attention otherwise. I am uncertain if there are other symptoms... always functioned before, now only hot air. It blows strong only it is hot. I am sorry, however, I am ignorant if the compressor clutch is cycling on - if you can describe to me what to listen for - or else I guess just turn it on and listen for something to activate and de-activate - I will do this and listen especially for anything as you described. I did watch Youtube video on adding freon... hoping it is easy to do, it is available at the store and for much less than paying at a mechanic place to add it. Thank you, investinwaffles! I will turn it on and listen - I will not keep it on for long - enough to hear - as do not want to stress compressor (in case that is possible). I appreciate this guidance.

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Hi there
First of all, what symptoms do you have other than hot air? Can you hear the AC compressor clutch cycle on? Does it stay on for a while, or does it click on/off in pretty short succession?

I would wager that the condenser coils are NOT the source of the issue, unless they are completely plugged with mud.
Chances are that the refrigerant level is low, or the compressor isn't spinning for some reason. Check refrigerant levels and if they are low, you can "jump" the AC compressor on so the system will fill properly if the AC compressor won't kick on

​​​
Old 06-09-2018, 12:19 PM

How do I test refrigerant level? What gauge to buy and I will test it first. Thank you! Is there a gauge simply to test it, I can do myself? I can learn and want to.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 06-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:42 PM

Thank you! I will check.