Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC Chirp

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default AC Chirp

Hey guys, I just recharged my keeps AC, and I notice while I am driving, I can hear a chirp every now and then, and something's when starting it up with the ac on, I get a bad squeal. Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:38 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler
Any ideas?[/left]
The first thing to do is check your belt tension. It has to be a lot tighter than most people expect, and that nonsense of twisting it is not even close to reliable. Buy a Krikit II belt tension gauge to get it right:

Continental Elite 09002 Krikit Tension Gauge Continental Elite 09002 Krikit Tension Gauge

You can sometimes find those at Napa stores also if you don't want to wait for an order to be shipped. Set the tension to 140 to 160 ft lbs for a used belt. If you put a brand new belt on, set the tension on it to 180 to 200 ft lbs. They stretch as soon as you run them, so you tighten a new belt a little more than the used belt.

If that doesn't fix it, then start looking at other causes.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

At least on other vehicles I've heard worn compressor clutches chirp when they engage. (Some AC clutches can be adjusted with shims but I don't know if that's the case with the XJ.) The squeal is almost certainly the belt.