Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ABS to non-ABS conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.
Default ABS to non-ABS conversion?

Hi. I've been happily driving my '99 for 10K miles now, and she decided to blow a brake line... thankfully in the driveway.

As part of my build, I pulled the Dana 35 and swapped in the C 8.25 rear, which killed the ABS system anyway.... so I was thinking of ripping out all the old lines and replacing with new SS however, removing all the ABS stuff.

What would be required? Aside from the distribution block, what else needs to come out and what needs to be changed? The MC looks the same by part number, and I know I'd need all the non-ABS lines.

Does making this change effect anything else?

Thanks in advance.

JR
Old 08-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I got my info from this thread.

I got all of the lines from the dealer. Swapped the rear with disc. Have not done the front lines. The only one that looks like it could be interesting is the passenger side.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/abs-delete-write-up
Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by JamromXJ
.... so I was thinking of ripping out all the old lines and replacing with new SS however, removing all the ABS stuff.

Not a bad plan, but consider using cupro-nickel instead of SS. More corrosion resistant than SS, and easier to work. The stuff is sweet.

Originally Posted by JamromXJ
Does making this change effect anything else?
Nope. Here's why.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Not a bad plan, but consider using cupro-nickel instead of SS. More corrosion resistant than SS, and easier to work. The stuff is sweet.
I second that, I use NiCopp exclusively now for brake lines. Very easy to bend and flare, and won't rust.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Nope. Here's why.
Originally Posted by Rambler65
I second that, I use NiCopp exclusively now for brake lines. Very easy to bend and flare, and won't rust.
I third the nickel/copper alloy brake line. So easy to work with and if you live where they put that crap on the roads in the winter it will hold up so much better.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: Supercharged 440 Magnum punched .60 - yeah right.. 4.0 like everyone else.

Thanks for all the great advice. I read the ABS replacement write-up and will go that route... with the NiCopp lines. I'd like this to be a permanent fix.

Regads,

JR
Old 08-18-2016, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I don't want to come across like a Debby Downer, but if your ABS system is functioning, I think removing it is a terrible idea. Yes, it might give you a little bit more off road capability. But possibly at the expense of your life and the lives of those you care about. What percentage of your miles-driven is in truly challenging off-road conditions versus on streets at speeds of 30 mph or higher? Note that the negative acceleration rate of a 30 mph accident is to falling off a three story building. Think about that!

I remember well an almost-accident I had in a BMW with ABS that would have been a MAJOR accident if not for the ABS. While braking at full force on wet pavement I was able to steer around three different vehicles slalom style when things went very wrong at an intersection. I'd been driving more than 25 years at that point and I'm good - but I can tell you it wouldn't have worked out for me that time if I didn't have ABS.

Again, sorry if my post is annoying, but I see carnage a lot and I'd like to think I can somehow reduce the toll a little bit.

Best wishes,

John

P.S. Edit: I read your original post a bit more carefully and I see you did a rear-end swap that caused your ABS to cease functioning. Maybe you'd consider finding a way to make it functional again with that beefier differential.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mdtobe
I don't want to come across like a Debby Downer, but if your ABS system is functioning, I think removing it is a terrible idea. Yes, it might give you a little bit more off road capability. But possibly at the expense of your life and the lives of those you care about. What percentage of your miles-driven is in truly challenging off-road conditions versus on streets at speeds of 30 mph or higher? Note that the negative acceleration rate of a 30 mph accident is to falling off a three story building. Think about that!

I remember well an almost-accident I had in a BMW with ABS that would have been a MAJOR accident if not for the ABS. While braking at full force on wet pavement I was able to steer around three different vehicles slalom style when things went very wrong at an intersection. I'd been driving more than 25 years at that point and I'm good - but I can tell you it wouldn't have worked out for me that time if I didn't have ABS.
Glad that worked out for you in a BMW but have you tried quick maneuvers in an XJ? How about a lifted one? One with bigger tires than factory? See where I'm going with this? ABS or non ABS, you aren't slaloming sheeeeeet in an XJ. And there's this thing called threshold braking for non ABS equipped vehicles. People call it "pumping the brakes" but that isn't the correct terminology. You can still properly brake without going into a full-on skid.

Last edited by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ; 08-18-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

ABS is great for people who have not been trained to brake properly.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS is great for people who have not been trained to brake properly.
Yes it is. ABS is also great for the best drivers, too.

Every legitimate research study has shown that even the best drivers cannot compete with an ABS system. It's not just about shortest stopping distances - it's about maintaining steering control while applying the maximum braking force possible. To do what it does (maintain wheel revolutions while braking at the highest level possible) an ABS system pumps the brakes approximately 50 times a second. Can you do that?

Racing where controlled sliding and skidding are used is an area where ABS would be a hindrance. And off-roading leads to some conditions where ABS would get in the way. But to try to argue that a "good" or even "great" driver does better without ABS is a waste of time.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Apparently mdtobe is the spokesperson for ABS systems lol

Again, ABS might work great on stock vehicles, maybe even OK in a stock XJ, but a modified XJ not so much.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

But to try to argue that a "good" or even "great" driver does better without ABS is a waste of time.

Yes, it would certainly be a waste of time trying to talk to you.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Again, sorry if my post is annoying, but I see carnage a lot and I'd like to think I can somehow reduce the toll a little bit.

Best wishes,

John

P.S. Edit: I read your original post a bit more carefully and I see you did a rear-end swap that caused your ABS to cease functioning. Maybe you'd consider finding a way to make it functional again with that beefier differential.

ABS? Absolute Bull-****.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Stock XJ will benefit with ABS.

Modd'ed XJ with bigger tires and wheels, armor, and the extra 1000-1500 pounds and stock 11" front discs and rear drums/or discs, The brakes are barely adequate to stop and also can not lock up, so why even need ABS. Stock Brakes are too small to even lock up, so the ABS will never come on or be required.

Now a XJ with bigger brakes 12 or 13" front discs and rear discs might benefit with ABS.

And RaceJeep with stock weight and 14" front and rear rotors and Brembo calipers, We are retrofitting ABS to it.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CobraMarty
Stock XJ will benefit with ABS.

Modd'ed XJ with bigger tires and wheels, armor, and the extra 1000-1500 pounds and stock 11" front discs and rear drums/or discs, The brakes are barely adequate to stop and also can not lock up, so why even need ABS. Stock Brakes are too small to even lock up, so the ABS will never come on or be required.

Now a XJ with bigger brakes 12 or 13" front discs and rear discs might benefit with ABS.

And RaceJeep with stock weight and 14" front and rear rotors and Brembo calipers, We are retrofitting ABS to it.
Fairly certain that Ken would disagree.

Quick Reply: ABS to non-ABS conversion?