Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Abar Design....

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5TD
Default Abar Design....

A big Hi to all.....first time poster here so please take it easy on me...I have a XJ model, and i want to get and fit an Abar to the jeep. However, here in Ireland, they are not very common and i am finding it really hard to track down anyone that can get me one. I was thinking of getting one made from a 63mm (ext dia) pipe. Would this be strong enough? I'm not planning on using it, its purely the look im after....sorry if is a real dumb question, but who better to ask but the guys that play with these jeeps everyday. Also, design wise, i have none to compare or measure so any help there would also be great....Thanks a million guys n gals....Again a big hello from Ireland!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Excuse my ignorance but we are unaccustomed to the word Abar to explain any part on the XJ. Can you post a pic of what you are refereing to? We may have a different name for the same part over here in the States.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:10 PM

Sorry guys, thats what we call them here....its the bar which surrounds the two 'yellow' spot lights on this picture....its fitted below the bumper and comes up to roughly the same height as the front edge of the bonnet (hood).....cheers guys

i have the standard front bumper, so the A-bar which i would need would bend up under the bumper and attach to the chasis somewhere...Oh and this isnt my jeep by any means, just a picture i have on my pc, its a real beauty....or at least i think so...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:17 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

Smittybuilt makes them. I have one on my xj- Google it to find a source for your needs. You can see pics of it in some of my albums.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:23 PM

yeah...this is the kind of bar i was chatting about...

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/2.htm

i want to try to make my own, as getting it shipped to Ireland will cost mucho dollar! Also, i want to try and give it some personal touches..thanks for that