Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99XJ Fob works from inside but not outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 99XJ Fob works from inside but not outside

I'd like to see if you all think I'm on the right track.
If a keyless entry fob functions properly from inside the vehicle but won't work at all from outside, is it most likely an issue with the receiver?
I've been reading all I can, but I mostly only find posts regarding totally non working fobs. So I bought the 99XJ just over a month ago with a non working fob. Per a suggestion here, I took it to a Jeep dealer who confirmed that the old non working fob WAS putting out a signal, yet after reprogramming, it still would not function. Thinking the problem was the fob, the dealer ordered me a new one. The new fob works perfectly, but only from inside the vehicle. The dealer said that they don't know what the problem is and want me to make an appointment for further $$$$ trouble shooting. They have not charged me a dime yet, but I can see this getting expensive. I'm now learning about the components of the RKE including the PDM, the DDM and the PCI. I have located the receiver/circuit board found inside the dome light, but I can't seem to find the correct term or jeep part # for it so I can do an accurate search for the part. I went to factorychryslerparts.com and found the dome light, but still could not identify the circuit board. I think I read that the Remote Keyless Entry system technology changed in 98 or 1999. The way I'm thinking, is that we know that the new fob is sending the signal to the receiver and we know that the receiver is sending a hard wire signal to the locks. So either the fob is not putting out a strong enough signal or the receiver is unable to receive good strong reception. Btw, the dealer said that they did check the fob batteries.
I've already got lots of great help from everyone here on different issues and appreciate the input. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

About the only things it could be is an antenna problem for the receiver or batteries. Clean all contacts on the receiver first and make sure they are tight.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
About the only things it could be is an antenna problem for the receiver or batteries. Clean all contacts on the receiver first and make sure they are tight.
I read that the older jeeps used infrared and actually had an antenna wire that would break off, but apparently these use a radio frequency. Still has to have some form of antenna though. The connections at the receiver/circuit board do look clean and tight and the dealer did say they checked the batteries, but.....
I did see up in the corner of the circuit board that the soldered connections looked sorta cloudy. Not bright and shinny like 95 percent of it does. Makes me wonder if one of it's little gizmos got a little hot and cooked something.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:21 AM

Fob update.
Well, here is what I have learned. Please set me straight if I have been misinformed. The dealer thinks I have a bad/weak receiver and wanted me to make an appointment for further testing. The receiver/circuit board (located in the dome light) is easy to change out, so I asked for a price. They said it was no longer available. Then I found an old post from a guy who said folks could send him their old fob and receiver and he would send them refurbished ones. I've emailed him and am awaiting his response. Their is also a you tube video describing an after market receiver that can be used. It apparently has limited function but would at least lock/unlock the doors. I might also consider one from a wrecking yard.
Anyway, those of us with this issue do have options. I'll update this post as I learn more.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

I would buy a used one from a JY or online and have the fob reprogrammed.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 PM

I would buy a used one from a JY or online and have the fob reprogrammed.
Good idea. I have not looked on line. A part # would help, but I can't find that seemingly simple thing. Guess I will search the net by description.
Thanks for the input Fred!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM

On line search only found one incorrect receiver/circuit board and that was on eBay. Might help if I had a correct OEM part # and or description. Still awaiting a response from colorado4wheel.com regarding a fob and receiver exchange service, but I suspect he is no longer in the game. If I lived in a larger area I would be hitting the wrecking yards. Might have to wait for my next run to a larger area, but not giving up.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Rusty do an online search for JY's in the NW US or just CA. and call a few and see about one. The shipping would be very cheap for that and I'm sure their are some available in the general area. Just make sure they will warranty it to be in working order most will.

Good luck, as for a part # I just don't know and for yrs. I'm sure 99-01 and maybe 97-01 not sure.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I had the same problem. I just used an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry system. I guess someone before me had the same problem because the remote start/keyless entry control box was in my jeep when I bought it and I just had to program the remote for it.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:50 PM

Rusty do an online search for JY's in the NW US or just CA. and call a few and see about one. The shipping would be very cheap for that and I'm sure their are some available in the general area. Just make sure they will warranty it to be in working order most will.

Good luck, as for a part # I just don't know and for yrs. I'm sure 99-01 and maybe 97-01 not sure.
Called some JY's and found one in Sacremento CA that specialized in Jeeps. They pull, they ship, they warranty AND they had one, so I ordered. They were also able to provided the Vin off the jeep it was pulled from so that the dealer can sinc it to my fob. Wish me luck! Thanks Fred and everyone for the input.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I had the same problem. I just used an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry system. I guess someone before me had the same problem because the remote start/keyless entry control box was in my jeep when I bought it and I just had to program the remote for it.
Did all the fob features work? Locks, interior lights, panic horn etc? I heard that the after market ones only work the locks. That would be ok.... If the used unit I ordered does not work, I'll do it your way. THANKS!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Originally Posted by Rusty2
Did all the fob features work? Locks, interior lights, panic horn etc? I heard that the after market ones only work the locks. That would be ok.... If the used unit I ordered does not work, I'll do it your way. THANKS!
I don't think the interior lights ever came on with my factory fob, the panic horn never worked on my factory fob and the horn never beeped with my factory fob. New aftermarket keyless entry systems are amazing they can do almost anything you want from anywhere in the world. Mine is a 2000 model viper system and it locks unlocks and starts/turns off my jeep. There's a way to hook up the horn I believe and it has a panic thing but I don't know how it's all set up and I don't wanna try and fix it since it still locks and unlocks and all. No matter what an aftermarket one can offer more features than the factory one just depends on how high end of a unit you buy.

Last edited by SatiricalHen; 11-19-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Rusty glad to be of help to you and that you found one. Knowing the area where you had to purchase yours had to be on the higher side for parts, if you don't mind me asking how much was it so I might pass it along to others in the future if asked?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Rusty glad to be of help to you and that you found one. Knowing the area where you had to purchase yours had to be on the higher side for parts, if you don't mind me asking how much was it so I might pass it along to others in the future if asked?
The dome light assy which will include the circuit board will cost me $40 plus UPS. I think the 99's came standard with the fob, so I'm hoping that all dome light assemblies include the needed circuit bd. The JY was suppose to call last Thursday once they had the unit in hand and then shoot me a photo to verify that it looked correct and included the board. I will call them today.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
I don't think the interior lights ever came on with my factory fob, the panic horn never worked on my factory fob and the horn never beeped with my factory fob. New aftermarket keyless entry systems are amazing they can do almost anything you want from anywhere in the world. Mine is a 2000 model viper system and it locks unlocks and starts/turns off my jeep. There's a way to hook up the horn I believe and it has a panic thing but I don't know how it's all set up and I don't wanna try and fix it since it still locks and unlocks and all. No matter what an aftermarket one can offer more features than the factory one just depends on how high end of a unit you buy.
Good information. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 99XJ Fob works from inside but not outside