Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 xj blinker problem! Need help!!

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO, Full Exhaust, Custom intake, chipped.
Angry 99 xj blinker problem! Need help!!

I am going to be buying a 99 Cherokee Classic. When I went to go test drive it the blinkers werent working. I checked them out more, because it was strange.. So I went to the junk yard got a new blinker column thing for it because I thought that was the problem.... nope still didnt work, checked the fuses nope that wasnt it either!
Now the really weird thing is that when I put on the hazards all 4 blinkers on the outside work fine, inside the Jeep the 2 green arrows on dash work and make the blinking noise.
Just cant figure out why the blinkers dont work!
PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Engine: 4.0

it's the flasher relay up under the dash. turn your 4ways on to find it. you will feel it clicking when you reach up under the dash......it's a p.i.t.a. to replace it's plugged into the end of a wire harness and taped in. plus i think it's mounted up there somehow as well, i cant remember. the last one i changed i just broke the plastic mount and ziptied the new one up there. that should fix your probs.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by STUK SUX
it's the flasher relay up under the dash. turn your 4ways on to find it. you will feel it clicking when you reach up under the dash......it's a p.i.t.a. to replace it's plugged into the end of a wire harness and taped in. plus i think it's mounted up there somehow as well, i cant remember. the last one i changed i just broke the plastic mount and ziptied the new one up there. that should fix your probs.
If I zip-tied it. Will it actually stay? And last there without breaking again??
Old 12-07-2009, 10:29 AM

yeah, it'll be fine. the harness clips to the relay, i just zip-tied it up to keep it from hanging down under the dash. you'll see when you reach up there and try to change that thing out it's a pain in the nuts. it's a cheap part at any auto part store in the flasher section. Just have yours out and with you when you go in, there a many similar ones. Some places the dude behind the counter has to get it from the back.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 AM

yeah, it'll be fine. the harness clips to the relay, i just zip-tied it up to keep it from hanging down under the dash. you'll see when you reach up there and try to change that thing out it's a pain in the nuts. it's a cheap part at any auto part store in the flasher section. Just have yours out and with you when you go in, there a many similar ones. Some places the dude behind the counter has to get it from the back.
Damn I was hoping it wasnt a p.i.t.a. but looks like that isnt happening haha. I'll look into it more and see what I can do Ill probably just go to Auto Zone to get the part then.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM

it's up under the dash on the drivers side toward the drivers side side-wall. the last one i changed was pretty far up in there. it's all the tape and the contorting to see and reach up there that makes it a pain. why they don't just put those things in a fuse box somewhere like the old cars is beyond me.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 AM

it's up under the dash on the drivers side toward the drivers side side-wall. the last one i changed was pretty far up in there. it's all the tape and the contorting to see and reach up there that makes it a pain. why they don't just put those things in a fuse box somewhere like the old cars is beyond me.
Yea they really out-do themselfs when putting it up there. They cant just make it nice and simple for people to replace in case they go out like in this situation!